Composting the bedding?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gilbert2, Jun 20, 2016.

1. gilbert2

gilbert2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Hi, fellow duck lovers. I would like to ask if any of you has had any experience with a composting product. Recently at the feed store, I saw a spray bottle of a liquid that is supposed to aid in the decomposition of soiled bedding. I use a combination of straw, shavings, and cut up straw--basically whatever is on sale on my shopping day.
    My straw bedding is on a dirt base, which is usually very dry. As I have added more straw on top of the soiled material, the bedding layer gradually gets thicker. Right now it is about 2-3" deep.
    The bedding has gotten to the point of being smelly. Not wanting to change the bedding every other day (as some people do), I ask all of you if you have used any of the composting products I described above. What a pleasure it would be if I could knock down the smell and decompose the lower level of saturated straw.
    There is a world of combined knowledge here--I just hope to reach anyone who has experience with the composting stuff.
    Thanks![​IMG]

2. kconners

kconners New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Take lower bedding out wash with garden hose. Let dry then put it back

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For the night pen, I use pine shavings and daily I spend 15 minutes or so spot-picking, then stirring the bedding with a cultivator tool. In summer (more humid) I may add some Sweet PDZ when I do change the bedding out (but it could be a couple of weeks between changes, sometimes weekly depending on the weather.

I know this isn't experience with that product, but it's what I can offer from my experience.

4. gilbert2

Apr 17, 2014
    Sorry, but you missed the part where I said that under the straw bedding is DIRT. I can't very well wash the dirt. Thanks though, for responding. I do appreciate your effort.

5. gilbert2

Apr 17, 2014
    Amiga, thank you for your comments. WHATEVER you say is valuable to me, since I respect your experience, generosity, and pure motives.
    I will remember what you said.

6. gilbert2

Apr 17, 2014
    I wish I knew why my "replies" are posted as the start of a new thread. Am I doing something wrong? I merely clicked on "reply" and then "submit," but then I went on record as starting a new thread. Geez!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by