Composting with Chicken and Pig waste?

LynnAnd

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Composting with chicken and pig poop. I have no idea how to start. The coop is 8 X 12 with rice hay over a dirt floor. The pig pen is the same size over cement also with rice hay as bedding. The run is aprox, 20 feet x 30 feet with trees, leaves etc. The chickens free range in the run during the day and the pigs just out for play in the evenings when the chickens come in. There is not much sun in the run as I have a lot of trees on my property. I am getting pine shavings this week as I don't think it will have as much dust as the rice hay. So how do I start a compost pile? Do I do it in the "run?" Or should I do it in a sunny spot which is outside the run and let the chickens play in it just a couple of hours a day when they can be supervised for their saf

ety. Can I put the pig poop in the compost pile? I also "juice," so I have a lot of juicing 'waste" that I was thinking would be perfect. but I literally have no idea how or where to start!

Are you giving the pulp from your juicing to your chickens and pigs? There's a lot of nutrient left after juicing. I love your set up. If you let the litter in your chicken run build up, you'll have tons of compost over time. Lots of beneficials for the chickens by doing it that way. And your pigs will have a blast rooting through the run as well. How often do you remove the litter from the concrete pig run? Can you just shift it over to the chicken run? I've never had pigs, and my chicken run is electronet, so gets moved often, stays nice and grassy. I guess If I had your set up, I'd look at deep litter options. You might want to keep a small compost bin for anything that wouldn't be safe for the chickens and pigs, then toss everything else into their areas.

Back
Top Bottom