computer HELP!! I need your help~Linux users!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Funky Feathers, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I thought I'd ask the computer geeks for help. I use Linux OS & Firefox 3.6. Something is wrong with my laptop, it has been acting up all night. Ever since I went on Crowdflower to vote on BYC calendar pics, I keep getting this error message: "secure connection failed, xml.freecause.com:443 uses an invalid security certificate. Expired certificate". I x out the message and it keeps popping up, it won't go away. So I munis it down. But I can't login to my email (Yahoo) or to FB. BYC is the only site I can get on. Can you help me? I am trying to upload pics to FB, and I can't. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

Sounds like a virus to me. [​IMG]
    I'll have to ask my father.

3. IRChicken

IRChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    @Symphony
    A virus is unlikely on linux.

@fattie
    Which Linux distro are you using?
    443 is SSL. The certificate issue may just be that it is self signed. If you trust the site owner then you can allow the certificate to be added to Firefox, otherwise don't bother.
    What is the exact message you get when visiting the site at issue?
    What is the link for the site with the certificate issue?
    How is the site related to Back Yard Chickens?

As for the other issues of FB and Yahoo, are you sure you have typed in the correct passwords for the usernames?

4. Runt Of The Litter

Runt Of The Litter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire,UK
    fattie,
    have not experienced this issue before,so have had a google,this shoud help:
    https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/879005
    from reading that it sounds like a toolbar issue.

another thread explaining the same sort of thing [except its on...*holds religeous cross up* apples site]:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/16223571#16223571

-its clearly non dependant on the operating system so has got to be an issue with FF itself.
    whilst waiting for the issue to be sorted,woud recomend checking another linux browser such as arora or chromium,just sudo apt-get install em.

-was just having a look through the wikipedia list of web browsers,and found icecat which also has a large list of plugins,it isnt in the repositories as had not seen it the last time had looked.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat its based on firefox so may find this workable till they sort the issue with FF and addons out,am going to install it on the laptop when get home.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Hmm. I use Ubuntu 10.10, have also voted and have had no problems. The only difference is that I use Chromium.

6. Runt Of The Litter

Runt Of The Litter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire,UK
    Quote:same here,but am using a mixture of different browsers including firefox,have got hardly any addons on though,perhaps only adblock plus,the cause of this error is being strongly suggested to be an addon issue if look on the above links to mozillas & apples sites that had posted,very weird problem.

7. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    OK, thanks guys! I got rid of some of my toolbars and add-ons. I think I may have fixed the problem (I hope). [​IMG]

8. IRChicken

IRChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    For Ubuntu and its variations I like the PPA method.
    To install Firefox I use:
    :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable

Then I update:
    :

sudo apt-get update

Now I install:
    :

sudo apt-get install -y firefox

This keeps Firefox up to date with the latest stable version, 6.0.2 for now.
    Sure there is 3.6.22, but why when there is 6.0?

To install Chrome or is it Chromium:
    :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily/stable

Then I update:
    :

sudo apt-get update

Now I install:
    :

sudo apt-get install -y chromium

Ad Block Plus is a security enhancement extension, helping to make your surfing safer.
    Any time someone tells you to reduce your security to access a site should raise alarm bells.
    You should understand the usage of the extensions installed first, though reducing the amount of extensions as a whole is a good idea because they are the vector for access to your system.
    Javascript can be a dangerous tool especially in an extension where it can have the same privilege as the user and sometimes admin privileges.

I hope you sort out your issues.

Cheers

Edit: I forgot to ask if you were running KDE or Gnome?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  9. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Gnome I think. Thanks! Will get the Firefox update/latest version as soon as I can get to the library to use the Wifi. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by