computer problem

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by warren, Oct 28, 2008.

1. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I know this is nothing to do with chickens, but without my computer I can't use this web-site.
    The little drawer where you put CDs in comes out on its own without me asking it to. Also it keeps making little whirring noises and I see a little disc icon appear on the screen for a few seconds. Does anyone know what causes this? I keep my security up to date and scans have revealled nothing.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Could be a defect drive?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Scan for a virus.

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Have you restarted your computer? If all else fails you need to backup your data and restore the OS.

5. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    if it's making whirling noises, it is on it's slow decent to dying, The hard drive is going to crash soon. Start doing back-ups while you still have the chance.

(that is if the noises are coming from the hard drive, and not just the sound of the disk drive trying to run)

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Something is seeking the drive for a reason, or it is malfunctioning. (If it's a Dell, that is more likely)

There are viruses out there designed to do that. Get one or all of these programs and run them periodically:

Spybot (protection against spy/adware)
    Ad-Aware (protection against spy/adware)
    and AVG Anti-Virus (protection against viruses)

The 2nd most common reason is that the drive is going out. Try this: Shut down the PC, unplug the drive. Start up the PC and plug the drive in.

Clean Internet History, clear all Caches and Cookies, clear "Recent Documents".

If you recently loaded software from a CD in that drive, that program may be seeking a file to complete an action.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Great advice here.

If you are using a Dell, I second the motion that it was just a cheap piece of manure to begin with and will need to be replaced. The good thing is that CD/DVD players will run you about $20 (or less) and are extremely simple to replace.

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am usuing a dell with no problems but have many problems with compaq presario series. Mostly the charging port and hard drive. What is the model name or # of your computer?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  9. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Chicabee19 wrote:
    Something is seeking the drive for a reason, or it is malfunctioning.

Thanks all of you for your advice. Chicabee gave me the clue that has solved the problem.

It was the CD drive that was trying to do something.
    I had used Windows Defender to see what was running on my computer and had stopped some programs from running as they were digitally unsigned. Since I have allowed these programs to run again the problem has stopped.

Thanks again all. You have solved yet another problem. What a wonderful web-site this is!​

10. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Chickabee19 wrote:
    Spybot (protection against spy/adware)
    Ad-Aware (protection against spy/adware)
    and AVG Anti-Virus (protection against viruses)

I would add one to that list: SuperAntiSpyware. It's newer, free, and detects some spyware that Spybot and Ad-Aware do not. I've actually quit using Spybot and Ad-Aware in favor of SuperAntiSpyware.

All this said, I'm not sure your CD/DVD player problems are related to viruses, and most likely are not to Spyware or Malware, which slow your PC's performance down more than anything else. It's possible that it's some type of virus, but I've never seen a virus do that.

I do think you should take the immediate precaution of running good virus and spyware/malware protection listed above, and doing a system backup.​

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by