Computer question.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hoosiermomma, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    How can I make mine run faster? Does it have to do with the connection, isp or is it a matter of increasing the amount of memory it has? I have high speed but it is anything but. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
  2. I am the original P/C dummy, but have you cleaned out ur cookies, or did a disk cleanup or disk defrag. Gp to accessories and cleanup and defrag shoulb both be there. I'm sure someone knows more than I do but that is where I start. marrie i think the o on my keyboard is stuck spellins is way off ( or it may just be me)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    What is slow? Internet or the whole computer?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Do you have virus protection? How much RAM? Is the hard drive overloaded with games and such?

5. boaz

boaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS
    First run a speed test on your internet connection, go to 2wire.com and run the speed meter at the top of the screen. If running noticeably slower than what you are paying for, restart the modem and test again. That is the simple one, from there is may be any number of factors, but you can go to the control panel from start and then find system to see how much RAM that is present. Antivirus programs are a double edged sword in some cases, they protect from rogue programs that can slow your machine and many at the same time slow the process time in that protection mode.

6. Hoosiermomma

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:I already do that on a regular basis. Thanks for the suggestions though.

7. Hoosiermomma

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Okay so the meter registered at 1.77mbps. What does that mean? I know there is an antivirus program on here but exactly how much does that contribute to slow speed. By slow I mean the transmission/turnover time. Does that make sense?
    Where do I find out how much ram there is? I went to start, control panel then system. Is that where it's located?

8. boaz

boaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS
    1.77M is a good speed if you are paying for 2M or maybe 3.0M speed; however, if you should be getting 6 or 10 then it is noticeably slower than it should be. Once you are looking at the system page or screen it usually has the system RAM listed in the lower rt hand corner with the processor. Another issue is how many programs are running in the background, those are located in the lower right hand area of your screen in Windows.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  10. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Clean up your registry, that will solve a lot of speed problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by