Concern for girls nervs.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dr.Doorlock, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    On a recent post I mentioned design for a feeder and waterer to be filled from outside the coop or run. After modifying the feeder it worked. I used 4" diameter PVC drain pipe, 45 degree angle outside and 45 degree angle inside. The top of the tube has a clean-out with a screw on top to keep out pests and moisture. I'll have picts on my site soon.

The waterer is still a good idea, but the two-liter bottle just colapsed and let all the water pour into the coop. I was glad the convertible bottom let the water pour through and out.

I'm real concerned about my girls. Today I drilled two holes to make room for the waterer and then cut out for one of the nesting boxes. The noise of my saw and drill seemed to upset them so much they started picking (if they ever stopped). My rush to get them into the coop was to get them out of the small cage with hopes they would stop picking. Now I think I will need to make them a temporary run to put them in while I work on the coop. I still have cuts to make for 5 nest boxes, a large window and two doors. Not to mention the permanent roof.

I don't know who's more stressed, me or them.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Bless you both,
    We are also constantly building around our girls. They have become accustomed to it. My hb can't even bend down without one pecking the drill or hand saw. he has to be careful. Jean

3. Dr.Doorlock

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    It must have been the reciprocating saw. I'm sure they though the walls were going to rattle apart. Tuesday I'm going to relocate them while I do most of the work.

4. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    I am a person who modifies my coops and runs every once in a while to try to make things better for the girls. The noise of saws and drills does bother them quite a bit. Now I hang a head of cabbage or scatter some scratch before I start working around them and it seems to help.Also I try to move around slowly so I don't startle them. It seems to help.[​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Dr.Doorlock :

On a recent post I mentioned design for a feeder and waterer to be filled from outside the coop or run. After modifying the feeder it worked. I used 4" diameter PVC drain pipe, 45 degree angle outside and 45 degree angle inside. The top of the tube has a clean-out with a screw on top to keep out pests and moisture. I'll have picts on my site soon.

The waterer is still a good idea, but the two-liter bottle just colapsed and let all the water pour into the coop. I was glad the convertible bottom let the water pour through and out.

You can't make a vacuum-style waterer very well at a 45 degree angle. It needs to be nearly vertical to enable you to keep the opening of the bottle fully submerged and not let vast quantities of air in at a time (which will cause a huge schlorpy spill) when the level is temporarily lowered by drinking.

I'm real concerned about my girls. Today I drilled two holes to make room for the waterer and then cut out for one of the nesting boxes. The noise of my saw and drill seemed to upset them so much they started picking (if they ever stopped). My rush to get them into the coop was to get them out of the small cage with hopes they would stop picking. Now I think I will need to make them a temporary run to put them in while I work on the coop. I still have cuts to make for 5 nest boxes, a large window and two doors. Not to mention the permanent roof.

Possibly your chickens are different but mine could care less about most loud noises or power tools. (Running the 22" wheeled weedwhacker along the outside of the run is an exception; they are not highly fond of the power jigsaw squealing through 1/2" plastic either). Actually it can be hard to keep them out of the way of the drill or circular saw [​IMG]

I suppose if yours already have the picking habit it might be different and you might wnt to err on the side of caution, though.

Good luck,

Pat​

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    That sound like a good idea. Please can you post some pics?
    Mine don't seem to care. They will even go into their favorite nest boxes and lay their eggs, probably because I have made several modifications on the coops. I will be building a new coop in the spring and am always looking for new ideas. I like it!!! [​IMG]

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Yeah, I can hammer away 5 inches from their ears and they don't even flinch. No wonder a rooster doesn't bother them. They just sit there and peck at all the tools, etc...I bet over time they will get used to all your coop modifications.

8. Dr.Doorlock

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Quote:I just added the picts and a video of the new system. The waterer is exactly vertical, which means the water doesn't fill until it gets down to needing more. It uses the vacuum in the "bottle" to hold back the water from just pouring through.

Have a look at the link below.

9. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like my two leghorn hens. I call them the nervous ninnies because any noise whatsoever sets them off flapping around their run and can expect no eggs for a few days. I mean any noise a branch creaking, a bag of feed being moved, me sneezing. The other chickens look at me as food and peck me while I'm out modifying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by