Concern of disease spreading to humans

Mychix2018

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
so I’m in the process of starting my backyard chicken coop. My 6 chicks arrive Tuesday. I’ve been reading and researching and came across diseases and sickness. I am now a bit concerned after reading information in the CDC website regarding the west Nile virus or the bird flu also other bacteria’s that can be deadly to humans.

Can anybody shed light in this topic this might be a deal breaker. My goal is to raise chickens not harm my family in the process

so I’m in the process of starting my backyard chicken coop. My 6 chicks arrive Tuesday. I’ve been reading and researching and came across diseases and sickness. I am now a bit concerned after reading information in the CDC website regarding the west Nile virus or the bird flu also other bacteria’s that can be deadly to humans.

Can anybody shed light in this topic this might be a deal breaker. My goal is to raise chickens not harm my family in the process
I have raised or cared for poultry for close to 2 decades. I never have or known anyone to have become ill from backyard flocks. Common sense is the safest practice. Just as you would wash your hands after using the restroom, why wouldn't you do the same after cleaning your coop.
News media is mostly propaganda to increase their ratings and sell air time for companies whom wish to advertise within that time slot.
My Chickens are 10 times cleaner then the handle on that buggy you push around at Walmart, and a thousand times cleaner than their toilet seats.
Don't let scare tactics chase you away from the joy of enjoying all the perks that come with owning backyard chickens.

Long story short, if you wash your hands well after every interaction with your chickens, even if you feel like you didn't touch anything, you should be fine. For example, when I lock the coop up at night, even though all I touched was the door latch, I wash my hands when I get back inside because I know other times I may be cleaning out the coop and then latch up when I'm done. Make a habit of it. I feel like most things that can be transmitted to people are carried in their poop. As with any other pet, don't touch the poop then rub your eyes, go eat a snack without washing hands, etc. Keep a separate station for washing chicken dishes and bowls, either outside, or maybe in the bath tub instead of the kitchen sink. West Nile is spread by mosquitoes, so I don't think having chickens really impacts that one. Other parasites/worms/etc. are likely already found in your soil/environment, which is where the chickens would pick them up from, which means you already are exposed to them as well. Yes there are risks, but no more than any other pet you have. Thoroughly cook chicken eggs and meat like you would any other food, it's no more dangerous than the eggs and meat you buy at the store.

CDC website regarding the west Nile virus or the bird flu also other bacteria’s that can be deadly to humans.
That is a public service announcement designed to educate the general public. Not to scare the general public.
There are other similar web sites such as the FCC's, where there was a warning about Radiation exposure from Cellular Phones. It is the Governments duty to educate the public about possibilities, not probabilities
Use the information and understand the terminologies accordingly.:)

Thank you all for responding to this. So sad that something that is meant to educate could keep someone from raising chickens.

We have had chickens for years now. I have never gotten sick from them, not from their eggs or meat which we process at home in our back yard. I have gotten food poisoning from fast food. We are quite good at washing our hands after chores but I can guarantee that on occasion I've forgotten or not followed the rule to every single possibility.

The odds of you birds getting something and passing it to you is not high. Just like a dog or cat.

"Possible" and "probable" are two different things. A lot of things on earth are "possible" to catch, many of them are not very "probable" if you practice simple common sense. As previously stated, just use common practices of washing hands and keeping things reasonable sanitary. I've had chickens for years, treated bumble foot, injuries, cleaned up mountains of droppings, culled, done necropsies, and processed birds for meat, etc, and not once ever have gotten ill from my chickens.

I have raised or cared for poultry for close to 2 decades. I never have or known anyone to have become ill from backyard flocks. Common sense is the safest practice. Just as you would wash your hands after using the restroom, why wouldn't you do the same after cleaning your coop.
News media is mostly propaganda to increase their ratings and sell air time for companies whom wish to advertise within that time slot.
My Chickens are 10 times cleaner then the handle on that buggy you push around at Walmart, and a thousand times cleaner than their toilet seats.
Don't let scare tactics chase you away from the joy of enjoying all the perks that come with owning backyard chickens.
Omg!!! Thank you so much!!! You just made me feel amazing. I was pretty scared and anxious. Can’t wait for Tuesday :wee

Thank you all for responding to this. So sad that something that is meant to educate could keep someone from raising chickens.

We have had chickens for years now. I have never gotten sick from them, not from their eggs or meat which we process at home in our back yard. I have gotten food poisoning from fast food. We are quite good at washing our hands after chores but I can guarantee that on occasion I've forgotten or not followed the rule to every single possibility.

The odds of you birds getting something and passing it to you is not high. Just like a dog or cat.
Thank u so much!!! You guys are making me feel so much better... you can really find some scary stuff in the internet. Excited to hear from people their positive experience and advice! So grateful to everyone

Long story short, if you wash your hands well after every interaction with your chickens, even if you feel like you didn't touch anything, you should be fine. For example, when I lock the coop up at night, even though all I touched was the door latch, I wash my hands when I get back inside because I know other times I may be cleaning out the coop and then latch up when I'm done. Make a habit of it. I feel like most things that can be transmitted to people are carried in their poop. As with any other pet, don't touch the poop then rub your eyes, go eat a snack without washing hands, etc. Keep a separate station for washing chicken dishes and bowls, either outside, or maybe in the bath tub instead of the kitchen sink. West Nile is spread by mosquitoes, so I don't think having chickens really impacts that one. Other parasites/worms/etc. are likely already found in your soil/environment, which is where the chickens would pick them up from, which means you already are exposed to them as well. Yes there are risks, but no more than any other pet you have. Thoroughly cook chicken eggs and meat like you would any other food, it's no more dangerous than the eggs and meat you buy at the store.
Thank u!

That is a public service announcement designed to educate the general public. Not to scare the general public.
There are other similar web sites such as the FCC's, where there was a warning about Radiation exposure from Cellular Phones. It is the Governments duty to educate the public about possibilities, not probabilities
Use the information and understand the terminologies accordingly.:)
Yup agreed but to read that there is a possibility even a small one was scared to read especially that I’m new to this. I’m doing my research to ensure I’m make smart decisions so when reading that I was definitely concerned ... thanks!

Back
Top Bottom