Concerned about additions

Weve3Chickens123

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
I"m new to this chicken thing and have two pullets and want to add two or three more. I'm not in this to breed or for meat, just for home grown eggs and something else to love. They will be more or less pets.
Anyway, I was looking to add a few more and came across one online I like the look of, but she's missing a few feathers on her back and in the pictures I've received from the current owner, A LOT of the other chickens in the pen with her are missing feather. I zoomed in and I'm not sure if it's the new feathers coming in or black dots. I don't want to add a bird that has mites or someother funky thing going on with it so I asked the current owner what was up. They say its just moult. I know I'm new to this and have limited knowledge, but doesn't moulting take place in the fall?? Can someone offer some info here? I know it's hot right now ( here in Fla its been around 90-100 every day for the last week - - finally "cooled down" to mid 80's today due to storms). Can that be a reason for a whole flock to moult?

Welcome to BYC. Do NOT under any circumstances get any of those chickens! Smart move on your part. You have to remember to practice biosecurity with chickens. When you get new chickens, you should quarantine them a good distance away from your flock for at least 30 days. Also, you have to keep in mind that some diseases can be carried on your clothes and shoes after handling infected chickens and accidently transmitting the disease(s) to your chickens. During that 30 day period, you have time to fully observe, inspect and treat any problems that the new chickens might have. You would want to worm them, inspect them for lice/mites, check for scaley leg mites/bumblefoot, ear mites, look inside thei mouth for lesions....the list goes on. Good luck.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks to both of you, especially Dawg53!.. I feel bad for these chickens, and the one I've been looking at is pretty enough and the breed I want but I've gotten quite attached to the two I have, even if it's only been two weeks,,,, just don't want anything to go wrong. I guess I'll keep looking.
Appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you, especially Dawg53!.. I feel bad for these chickens, and the one I've been looking at is pretty enough and the breed I want but I've gotten quite attached to the two I have, even if it's only been two weeks,,,, just don't want anything to go wrong. I guess I'll keep looking.
Appreciate your input.

1 barred plymouth rock, one olive egger, 5 dogs, 3 cats, two hard working people and one child in college.....Phew!!

Last edited:
BTW... the login id is from a song my mother sang to me and my siblings as children, " We've threee chicken in our back yard..." and my goal was to get "3 Chickens" in my backyard one day, but have realized they are soooooooo cool I can't have only 3!!! My spouse has limited me to 5 so I'm dang well getting the max! lol!

Back
Top Bottom