Concerned about area where coop will be placed.

Newbee58

Songster
Apr 29, 2016
Central, Utah
тнє αяєα ωнєяє ωє αяє gσιиg тσ нανє συя ¢σσρ ιѕ αℓℓ ∂ιят αи∂ иσ ѕнα∂є. єνєи ιf ι ρℓαит тяєєѕ тнєу ωσи'т ρяσνι∂є мυ¢н ѕнα∂є fσя ѕσмєтιмє. иσт ѕυяє ωнαт тσ ∂σ. ωє нανє ¢σℓ∂ ѕиσωу ωιитєяѕ (αвσυт 20 ∂єgяєєѕ αи∂ яєαℓℓу ωιи∂у) αи∂ νєяу ωαям ѕυммєяѕ (¢αи gєт ιитσ тнє 100'ѕ). αиуσиє нανє ι∂єαѕ?

Could you just build a lean to to provide shade? You could let vines grow on it to provide a prettier view and if you make certain it is chicken safe your birds would have some extra green to nibble on.

тнє αяєα ωнєяє ωє αяє gσιиg тσ нανє συя ¢σσρ ιѕ αℓℓ ∂ιят αи∂ иσ ѕнα∂є. єνєи ιf ι ρℓαит тяєєѕ тнєу ωσи'т ρяσνι∂є мυ¢н ѕнα∂є fσя ѕσмєтιмє. иσт ѕυяє ωнαт тσ ∂σ. ωє нανє ¢σℓ∂ ѕиσωу ωιитєяѕ (αвσυт 20 ∂єgяєєѕ αи∂ яєαℓℓу ωιи∂у) αи∂ νєяу ωαям ѕυммєяѕ (¢αи gєт ιитσ тнє 100'ѕ). αиуσиє нανє ι∂єαѕ?
Summer: If it is a raised coop the area underneath can provide shade. Will the chickens be confined to a run? A tarp over it can provide shade. If they are not confined to a run, they will seek shade themselves.
The coop and roof of the coop a light color doesn't hold as much heat. A fan can be used to cool and circulate air.

Winter: Cracks are sealed to avoid drafts. Days and nights that don't go above freezing, a heat lamp can be used or small electric heater. Cones and waddles are susceptible to frostbite if exposed to subfreezing temps for extended periods. Propane heaters can be used too. Precaution needs to be taken with the heating devices that the chickens can't come in contact with them. Some sort of exclusion fence to keep chickens from roosting on or above the heater. With propane heaters some opening to the outside is needed for fresh air. (avoid carbon monoxide poisoning). I don't think this would be an issue since most coops are not airtight. Depending on the size of your coop, a kerosene heater could also be used .Same precautions needed as the propane heater.

Shade is simple - zip tie shade cloth over the top of the run, and maybe along one side. Shade cloth allows water/wind through, but knocks down the rays of the sun quite well. Also, you could plan shrubs along part of the run (on the outside) on the summer sun side - maybe a fast growing boxwood or something??? Shrubs usually grow quickly. If your housing doesn't have windows, could you cut some out (tacking hardware cloth over the openings for ??? That would help the interior NOT become an oven. When winter rolls around, screw plexiglass over the screened openings - will allow winter sun in, but not winter wind/cold.

wє hαvє αn σld trαílєr wє αrє uѕíng fσr pαrtѕ, thє wíndσwѕ, dσσr αnd vєntѕ. twσ wíndσwѕ ín вαck σnє σn frσnt, pluѕ vєntíng αlσng єvє σf rσσf thєn thє vєntѕ frσm trαílєr σn rσσf. cαn σpєn αnd clσѕє αѕ nєєdєd pluѕ thєч αrє clєαr αnd wíll lєt líght ín. dσ í nєєd lαrgєr wíndσwѕ thαn thє trαílєr wíndσwѕ?

I wouldn't. A humid environment is tough on birds, they do much better in a dry climate. While chickens have a very Hardy digestive system they actually have a very delicate respiratory system. These are all good shade ideas, any would work.

wє hαvє αn σld trαílєr wє αrє uѕíng fσr pαrtѕ, thє wíndσwѕ, dσσr αnd vєntѕ. twσ wíndσwѕ ín вαck σnє σn frσnt, pluѕ vєntíng αlσng єvє σf rσσf thєn thє vєntѕ frσm trαílєr σn rσσf. cαn σpєn αnd clσѕє αѕ nєєdєd pluѕ thєч αrє clєαr αnd wíll lєt líght ín. dσ í nєєd lαrgєr wíndσwѕ thαn thє trαílєr wíndσwѕ?

Trailer windows should work fine, and vents along the roofline sounds perfect.

I've misted on hot days with low humidity. But on hot days with high humidity, I doubt it'll do much good - might just make things feel swampier. Some folks swear by freezing water in milk jugs and placing those in the run for the chickens to sit by on super hot days. Back before I free ranged my birds, I tried that a few times, and they were afraid of the jugs - so I quit. I will sometimes run small fans in my housings on really hot evenings though...just to get air moving.

Back
Top Bottom