Concerned about Cockerels

Razzle

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
Alfred, ON
Alright, so my chicks are just shy of 7 weeks old, some of them are starting to make clucking noises in between chirps, but I've got two that make this awful..trilling, crowing noise,

Imagine a baby chick trying to sound like a rooster mixed with a crow, I will upload a video of it once I can catch them on recording, but my problem is, that I realized today that two of them were doing it, SO I'm just wondering, in a flock of 9 chicks, what are the odds of 2 roos? Are they roos cause they sound different, or is it just some chicken puberty thing they go through?

Did you get straight run? Did they send you extras? Even if not, it seems common enough to get cockerels in with them.

Mine sounded like someone choking the life out of them. They also started raising their hackles and squaring off, even at a young age. Still, it took awhile to confirm every bird's sex.

Are some obviously bigger than the rest (assuming it's one breed)?

Well, I actually didn't get them from a hatchery, I got fertile eggs from a local farmer, and it's true, it sounds like some ones choking them or something, they raise up their neck feather and stretch out their necks when they do it too,

There are a few that are significantly bigger than the others, but they are all definitely clucking, I believe they are mixed breed

My main concern is that my neighbors don't like my dogs barking for 30 seconds, I definitely know they'd complain about two roosters singing all over my backyard, and I'd have a hard time giving them away to some one because everyone I've talked to about it says they cook up roos, and I'm sorry but no one is going to eat my babies
photo.jpg

*sigh* it's a hard-knock life being a rooster
48px-Face-sad.svg.png

edit : when I say mixed breed, I don't mean a bunch of different breeds I mean "mut" chickens!

Last edited:
Sounds like a first crow to me. I had a roo that sounded like an engine failing to turn over. Poor guy had us rolling on the floor laughing at him every time.

I hatched 10 chickens and it looks like 9 of them are roosters-soooo I say count your blessings that you only have 2!! I say the first crow in my roos sound like a creaky door! Do you have any pics of them?

Sounds like a first crow to me. I had a roo that sounded like an engine failing to turn over. Poor guy had us rolling on the floor laughing at him every time.
It's true, they really do sound hilarious, but at the same time I'm always like "stop that! be a hen!"
old+lady+shaking+finger.jpg

I will put up some pics of them soon!

Last edited:
I hatched 10 chickens and it looks like 9 of them are roosters-soooo I say count your blessings that you only have 2!! I say the first crow in my roos sound like a creaky door! Do you have any pics of them?
Are you serious?!
ep.gif
gah, I'd die, I would have to move or something cause I can't see myself getting rid of all my birds but one for some neighbors I don't even like anyway! Hopefully your neighbors are nicer than mine!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

My neighbors are fine--but I seriously can't keep 10 roosters(I have an older one). Soooooo they will have to go. I mean what do you do with 10 roosters and 2 hens??? They would probably kill each other or the girls or both! We do have a friend who has a farm and she said she would take our roosters. I imagine (positive thinking) that they are going to live out their life chasing down her girls. She has lots of chickens.

I agree it would be so unpractical to keep 10 roosters, can you imagine the songs they'd sing? oh man
barnie.gif
you'd have a barbershop quartet of crowing, and then some xD

Lucky though that you have a friend you can give them too, even luckier that you've got neighbors that are alright! ^-^

Last edited:
I have had as many as 18 cockerels and/or roosters in my flock at one time. It was quite a cacophony of crowing around here, lemme tell ya!

Now down to two crowing roosters (I am pretending the two WCB Polish cockerels aren't male because they haven't crowed yet, and the silkie roo doesn't count because he only crows during the first light session) and as the younger birds begin to crow they will go away.

Two mature roosters and the afore-mentioned ones I'm pretending don't count are they only boys allowed.

It was very hard to give up six of the roosters I owned because they were my pets, but I did manage to rehome them where they could live out their lives. "New" roosters won't get that option; I won't get attached to them and they will make a good meal someday.

Back
Top Bottom