Concerned About Fertility of My Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by deenamr, Feb 22, 2009.

1. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    I am hoping to hatch some chicks in a lg incubator that I was given. My concern is that my eggs won't be very fertile. I have 1 banty roo and 7 large breed hens. I wanted to start by trying to hatch my own eggs rather then spending money on eggs for my first few attempts. Now I am concerned that my eggs my not be fertile beacuse of the size difference from roo to hens. Any thoughts?

Also I want to do a few weekend camping trips over the summer and want to have the chicks outside before I leave - how far in advance do I need to hatch before I can transition them to the flock? I will have someone at my house the whole time I am gone and a friend who will come and gather eggs and let the chickens out in the am and shut them up at night.

2. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    My Uncle has Buff Orpington hens and a little batny EE roo, he didn't want fertilized eggs-just some one to sound the alarm for the girls. One of the hens hid out in the barn with a clutch last year, he didn't see her tucked back in the corner and 3 weeks later....lots of babies! [​IMG]
    If you have an incubator, go for it- candle at 5 days and you'll be able to see if their fertile or not.

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Quote:My rooster has taken care of my four hens. So I belive you can have fertile eggs. Dont put chicks with your flock it is very bad. This is what can happen, take a look and then tell me if you wanna put a juvinille in with the big guy. Goodluck. woops forgot link here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128793

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  4. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    So when should they be big enough to hang with big chickens?

5. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Quote:I put mine in when they were basically full grown. So about 3 - 4 months. Goodluck.

6. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    One of my banty Cochins had fertilized some of our white leghorn hens eggs... We have some whte leghrn x Cochin mixed chicks( leghorns with feathered feet)

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    It depends how large your large breed hens are and how tiny your bantam roo is. My sons large barred rock hen he shows at the fair is kept with the bantams, there are old english and wyandotte roos in there. Her eggs are NEVER fertile. When we want to hatch eggs from her she gets carried over to her boyfriend in another coop every few days for a short "visit" LOL.

Young chickens should never be put with older chickens until they are near full grown.

8. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I would set them then you can check in a week to see what is developing. The biggest problem I have with new chicks is my roo. The hens don't really bother them but I wait until they are about 2-3 months old. And I keep them in a pen where the hens can see them and get used to them before I introduce them. Just make sure their is plenty of food. That is where most of the conflicts come from... around the feeder. The newbies have to wait their turn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by