Concerned about laying place

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmer Kitty, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My hens are 17 1/2 weeks. They started laying at 15 weeks. Some are using the nest boxes, but about once a week I find eggs on the floor. The ones on the floor are usually broken and they may or may not be eating them. I'm wondering if these are the first time layers. I have noticed an increase in the boxes after these episodes, but I had a rooster that became aggressive that I had to move out so things have not been smooth enough for me to know for sure. So do I worry about the floor layers? Or are they inexperienced and I can soon find their eggs in the boxes?

2. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    15 weeks? what kind do you have? [​IMG]

3. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have 6 Browns and 6 Blacks. I know it's young, but that's when they started. It caught us off guard too.

4. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    not bad i wish i didnt have to wait mine are 15 weeks and acting a little off like they are getting ready but i dont think they will give me any till winter [​IMG]

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Some of my first timers laid on the floor, too, even though there are more than enough nest boxes. But now I find all the eggs in the nests. I think, since you're having the broken egg problem, that you should go out as early and as often as possible to find any that may be broken before they eat them. That's a hard habit to break once it's started. I imagine that before long they will lay in the nests.

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Fortunately, the only eggs they are bothering are the ones that get laid on the floor. I'm up at 4 a.m. (dairy farmer) and the ones that I'm finding on the floor are already laid. The rest don't lay untill the middle of the day.

7. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Putting the nestboxes on the floor for a couple weeks would help. Especially if it was done just prior to anyone laying. Giving them easy access to the boxes will soon show them what it's for, then they'll seek out the boxes later when you put them back up.

Good luck,
    spot

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Sounds like the eggs under the roosts may not have been "laid" but rather dropped while the hen was asleep. This happens sometimes before the hen's system gets in sync. Especially for new layers. In time their systems will adjust and they will lay during daylight hours which is the normal time for them.

9. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had one laid out of the boxes this morning. She must have just laid it before I went in because it was still real soft. When she got up she stepped on it and broke it. Looking back I think maybe that is what happened before too. If they don't find the boxes soon I may try putting some on the floor and then moving them, it sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm also going to try leaving the light on, as some of them are laying so early and it is dark. Maybe they don't feel comfortable enough about going into the boxes in the dark?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by