Concerned About My Barred Rock's Mental Health!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TWolfBC, Oct 28, 2015.

1. TWolfBC

TWolfBC Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    I had two chickens- a Delaware and a Barred Rock, both about four months old, and the Delaware died. I didn't want my Barred Rock to be lonely, so I got two baby chicks- a Silver Laced Wyandotte and an Australorp. I introduced them, for the first few weeks through a fence. When the baby chicks were about two and a half weeks old, I let them free with close supervision. Occasionally one of the little chicks would come up to my Barred Rock, and she would peck at them. Then I separated them for a while and reintroduced them. But one afternoon my Barred Rock started to flap and go crazy inside of her coop where we can't see her. When I checked on her, she had red along the the top of her beak to a little into her comb. The next day she twitched while she walked. I fear that she might be lonely, or is just going crazy. I don't know how to help her and I am concerned for her health. Please help, BYC professionals!

2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry you are having trouble. Have you kept the littles separated? Does Trice have room outside the coop to forage? Maybe you could get her a treat ball or a broccoli head? A cooked corn on the cob to occupy her time and re-start supervised integration if you haven't? with limited info, it sounds like she just bonked her head pretty good! Best of luck to you and please keep us posted!

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I agree, she is probably stressing from being alone and then having new flock mates added might just have her on edge... Something to occupy her attention, the broccoli would be a good one... Do you give them scratch at all? That can help ease boredom too.

It's going to take some time for her to get used to the new intruders, and she will probably always be top hen, and will peck accordingly ;)

Do they have spaces to hide out or separate from each other if need be?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm wondering what did the other bird die from?

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Good catch, aart... I'm wondering too...

What was the red? Was it blood, or was it her coloring, ie, her beak and skin reddish colored?

The flopping in the coop when you couldn't see could have been more than just a fit of chicken angst... It could have literally been a fit of dementia, or a seizure of some sort?

6. TWolfBC

TWolfBC Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    it was blood, but it did heal quickly afterwards

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by