Concerned about my hen...

Msguzmansj

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2017
San Jose, Ca
I'm a first time chicken mom Not by choice but I couldn't help but fall in love with all my birds... Well my husband thought I had too much time on my hands and decided to get a chicken, we named her Dennis... She was lonely at first but she had the run of the back yard... Well then my husband decides that he is going to bring home 3 little chicks and 3 baby ducks for me.. then decided that wasn't enough and bought 2 more slightly older black hens and a black rooster. Well as time passed Dennis was the shot caller and punked everyone including the black rooster... So as more time passed we realized that 2 of those baby chicks that he brought home were roosters. Now that the one we call Coop is bigger he is always after Dennis. Coop is a BIG boy by the way and I mean plump... Any way everything was just fine yesterday Dennis was her usual self In the morning going crazy just being her. Well when I went to go put the Ducks away I couldn't find her she was hiding in a bottom shelf of a storage shelf... I know that Coop had mounted her a few times yesterday and after each time she just started acting different kind like sluggish and won't even talk to me like she normally does.... I'm worried about her cause I have her inside and she just lays there. She drinks her water n just nibbles on her feed. I don't know what to do.... Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20180626_090356.jpg
    IMG_20180626_090356.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 12
I think *she* is depressed after being dethroned by another roo and after self discovering she won't be laying eggs has been exiled.

Sounds like you have too many Roos for such a small flock.

How old is the original chicken? Where did you get it? What breed is it?
It kind of looks like a male though. Maybe the other rooster took over and now this one has been put in a different position and is a little depressed.

I believe the pic is 'Coop' the big cockerel.
Knowing how old all the birds are would help.
My guess is that you have 2 young cockerels doing what young cockerels do.
I would be more inclined to isolate the boys and leave the girls together in peace.

I believe the pic is 'Coop' the big cockerel.
Knowing how old all the birds are would help.
My guess is that you have 2 young cockerels doing what young cockerels do.
I would be more inclined to isolate the boys and leave the girls together in peace.
Oh. Ha. I thought the way it was written the pic was of the hen in question. Makes sense though.

I believe Dennis is the oldest which is like 2 years old the black chicken (Mindy) and black rooster (Mork)are little under 2 (Angel) rooster (Coop) rooster (Jimmy) hen they are all a little over a year old.

We didn't know we were going to have so many roosters we thought angel was a hen until he sprouted up and his legs grew thicker in like a week... lol not literally a week but it seemed like it.

Back
Top Bottom