1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Concerned about one of my RSL's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jklett, May 19, 2016.

1. jklett

jklett New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have 6 RSL's about 8 weeks old and one of them has me concerned that she might be a he. I also have 6 production reds and I know that one of them is a cockerel. Here is the one in question.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If it's a red sex link than it's a hen, a rooster would be mostly white.

3. jklett

jklett New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thanks. That's what I thought but the pinking up and wattles have me nervous. It's the only one of the red sex links like that, I knew about the production red at 4 weeks because of that and I am worried that I might wind up with 2 roosters.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It would make me wonder too.

5. jklett

jklett New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    New Jersey
    It's weird, I put them in the coop yesterday and this one's comb and wattles were back to a pinkish yellow like the others that I am sure are pullets. Is it possible that "she" was just worked up and that's why they turned darker? My male production red on the other hand is still pretty pink in his comb and wattles and they are huge compared to all the others(they're all the same age). Maybe I am getting worried about nothing, I guess only time will tell.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yep, that is possible. Combs and wattles have a huge amount of blood flow, and increased circulation can cause a flush like that.

And conversely, a decrease in blood flow from something like heart failure causes a darkening/purple color of the combs and wattles.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Combs and wattles are a sign of sexual development and readiness to mate, as well as functioning as a way to get rid of excess heat. So that would make sense.

8. jklett

jklett New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thanks, I sort of thought that but wasn't sure. I'll let y'all know what happens in a few weeks with this one.

BTW, they went crazy this morning when I threw a chunk of sod in with them. Pecking and scratching and making a big ruckus. They found a few worms so I might not have as much luck with dried mealworms to lure them back at night.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They do love sod clumps, I start giving them in the breeder at around 1-2 weeks. They are fun to watch when running with worms.

10. Eragon36

Eragon36 New Egg

Nov 8, 2016
    are you saying that if my rsl is white or very light yellow then its a rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by