Concerned about possible liver failure

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hi,

I had an 8 month RIR hen die in January of fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. It was a very sudden death, and I noticed a few days before her death that the back of her comb turned almost transparent in about a 0.5in x 0.5in area. I'm now seeing my other surviving 9 month RIR hen having the exact same transparent comb in the exact same spot, along with occasional white flushes in her face. She pooped oddly this morning, but I didn't think much of it, as I'm about to worm my girls as soon as the Corid powder arrives this week. It was small, about the size of a half dollar, with a milky watery consistency and made up of mostly urates, no solids. She is laying well, but the poop did not look like egg white. It's not warm here in East Baton Rouge, and I'm not sure what could be going on, but I'm terrified that she might die of liver failure like her sister. If anyone could tell me what could be going on, I'd love to hear it. Vet is not really an option, because EBR has only one exotic vet that takes chickens, and my parents already paid <$300+ for my other chicken's vet bills, but she ended up dying.

TIA!

I don't know much about this. But I guess I would try some kind of liver detox like milk thistle. Also make sure the diet is healthy. no sunflower seeds or other fatty foods.

I looked this up. It mentions an amino acid, L-Tryptophan can help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_liver_hemorrhagic_syndrome
Thank you! They get no additional fat from the house, but they free range all day. I was also worried because we've had off and on laying from her. The morning before the first hen died she didn't lay, and FLHS hemorrhage usually happens when the chicken tries to lay.

Hmm.

Hopefully one of the other ladies can help you more. I'm at a loss. I'm sorry. 😔
Thank you anyway! I'm also wondering if it's a hatchery chick thing- we ordered 4 day-old chicks from My Pet Chicken's Best Layer's assortment, which ended up being 2 Cinnamon Queens and 2 RIRs. The RIRs are the ones with the liver weirdness.

Back
Top Bottom