1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Concerned about the placement of the blood vessels

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, Jan 9, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Ok, OK! I know, I wasn't supposed to candle again. I tried to sit on my hands, but I realllly wanted to show my husband. And today one of the eggs has blood vessels in the center of the eggs just like the pics I've seen. However, One has a blood vessel at the very top of the egg...right beneath the jiggly air sac. I almost missed it was soooo high up. Is that normal? Should I be concerned? I kinda thought they are only supposed to be in the middle. I could be wrong though...its been known to happen. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quit over thinking things!!!! They are fine!!!!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Stop candling those eggs! The more you handle them, the better the chance is they won't hatch! Sheesh. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

Quote:Amen sister.

5. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    LOL...ok...i'll stop. I promise. I won't candle them until Day 10, and thats just cuz I want to get rid of bad ones. It's just sooo exciting. How do you guys do it? My poor husband is sooo not amused.

6. debilorrah

Quote:Day 10? Leave them alone til lockdown. SERIOUSLY!!!!

7. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011

I thought you were supposed to check them periodically to see if any are dead/infertile so they don't explode all over the other eggs? And just out of curiosity, why is candling bad when we have to rotate the eggs several times a day? Isn't it the same thing? *sigh...candling is soooo exciting. Sucks to give it up.

8. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    You can most certainly can candle on day 10, I always do, it's best to wait until because it's so much easier to see the growing chick and also determine the non- starters etc. I also candle again right before lock-down. Did you see the thread that has the pictures of what the eggs should look like? That helped me a lot in the beginning. Best of luck to you.

9. debilorrah

I thought you were supposed to check them periodically to see if any are dead/infertile so they don't explode all over the other eggs? And just out of curiosity, why is candling bad when we have to rotate the eggs several times a day? Isn't it the same thing? *sigh...candling is soooo exciting. Sucks to give it up.

Honey you will know if there are any that gonna explode, the emit an odor that cannot be duplicated unless you have a cadaver in your house.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Next time you set eggs, candle only on Day 10 or 12, IF YOU MUST, and again at lockdown.

If you know you cannot stop candling eggs, put ONE egg that isn't important to you along with the others you really want to hatch. Mess with that one, IF YOU MUST.

Got it?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by