concerned about trauma or ptsd

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sandbound, Nov 30, 2013.

1. sandbound

sandbound New Egg

Nov 30, 2013
    My girl was caught by my dog about 2 mos ago, minor rear injury, loss of feathers. She has always been eating, drinking running around just fine although has not laid since. She became victim again when another dog got in our yard but only lost some rear feathers, today I realized she seems to be moulting around neck & comb, still eats & drinks fine. Not sure if I should be worried about her or just patient?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Stress/injury can stop a hen from laying and throw them into molt, and add the time of year with shortening daylight hours anyhow, as long as she is acting and looking fine otherwise, I would say you just have to be patient for her to start laying again.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would be worried about her, if she has gotten attacked twice in a short time, she needs to be in a safe coop and run before she ends up dying. It's too easy to get to her and that will not change if nothing is done to UP security.

Whether it seems like minor injuries or not, you can be sure she had a lot of stress thinking she was about to be eaten alive. Please read the sections on predator proofing and safety.

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I second drumstickdivas sentiments. Sounds as if she has 'dodged a bullet' twice. Next time she may not be so lucky.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I think you should keep her in a secure coop/run with hardware cloth instead of chicken wire, or take care of the dog problem.

7. sandbound

sandbound New Egg

Nov 30, 2013
    Thank you all for your input, the girls are in a secure coop, once my dog got her I don't let them roam out anymore. The second episode was when my dog was gone for a while but a neighbor dog out running around got into our yard so they don't roam anymore.

8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

She deserves the winter off, in safety. Is she alone or are there other members of your flock? If she is alone, she definitely needs a couple of nice non-aggressive coop mates to make her more comfortable.

Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by