Concerned... baby chick poo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobroc, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    I just received to Auracaunas and two White Rocks chicks last Friday (day old chicks). They are 5-6 six days old now. I can not tell which chicken or chickens are doing this, but there is a poo that is watery that is dark reddish-brown, and it smells BAD... Now I know chicken poop isn't pleasant but this foul (no pun intended). I've tried to sit and watch which chicken is doing this but the poop I watch it normal looking and I've seen normal looking poop come from each breed (I think), so I know it is a specific chick just don't know which one.

They are on medicated feed. They are all active and acting happy. The only concern is this poo... Should I watch a see if things change good or bad? Could this be a specific breed thing? Could this be a sick chick? I'm scared/concerned. This is my second round of chicks (my other girls are 33 weeks and all different breeds with poo that never looked like this).

Help?!?!

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Start a sulfa drug regimen right away...Sulmet or Amprolium.

3. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Runny or bad smelling poop could be a sign that they are sick but i know with my girls that they sometimes have some runny or funny looking poops that smell pretty bad but i have never had any problems with it. I would just keep a good eye out and see if there are any other problems.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Don't worry, your chicks are fine! There are two types of normal poop for chicks......The stinky, runny, brown colored poop is called cecal droppings....chicks will often have that kind of poop when they're a little bit nervous (like say when you're feeding or something), and then there is the normal looking poop that you're used to seeing....

Totally normal and nothing to worry about!

5. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Thank you!! I can always count on my 'peeps' at BYC!

6. cmcourt

cmcourt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Glad you asked this! I had the same question. It most often happens when I am tidying up the brooder. I feel better about it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by