1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Concerned Duck mom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DianeS1978, Mar 7, 2017.

1. DianeS1978

DianeS1978 Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2017
    Fl
    I was givin 3 ducklings for a birthday gift.I am concerned because 2 of the ducklings are getting big but the one is not as big as the other 2. She/he eats and drinks and also runs around like the 2 just forgot to grow with them.

2. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Could you post some pictures? The smaller one could be a different breed, different gender, etc.. How long have you had them?

3. DianeS1978

DianeS1978 Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2017
    Fl
    I got them from a hatchery and they were born on Feb 16th and they are Rouen Ducklings
    [​IMG]

4. DianeS1978

DianeS1978 Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2017
    Fl
    [​IMG]

5. cheezenkwackers

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    They are adorable but I am at a loss. I have no idea why one would be so much smaller. Hopefully a wiser soul will weigh in for you.

6. DianeS1978

DianeS1978 Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2017
    Fl
    Thank you for at least trying.

7. cheezenkwackers

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
  8. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I would suggest Nutri-drench and apple cider vinegar with mother (not the pasteurized stuff) in their water and possibly extra niacin (I used brewers yeast) in their food. It won't hurt the other two and it could help ensure that the little one is getting enough nutrients. If you have trouble finding any of those locally, I purchased all of them on Amazon.

When we got our six ducklings last August as three-day olds, we could tell as early as the next week that one was significantly smaller than the others. Even though she had access to the same free-choice feed that the other five thrived on (they never looked scruffy or awkward at any stage!), she ended up with a niacin deficiency, had some kind of stroke or seizure at one point and just grew so slowly! Then as the others got bigger, they started running her over, simply because they couldn't see her, so her leg was dislocated or sprained which meant that she "army crawled" instead of walking. I tried keeping her in the house so she wouldn't strain herself trying to keep up with "the big ducks" but she would get so upset to be away from the others that trying to get her to "rest" was just making it worse. She died on December 20th, at just four months old, and she was still quite a bit smaller than the others and never quite got all her adult feathers. We think that she had some kind of genetic issue(s) and knew early on that she would never lay eggs or anything and that she wouldn't live very long, but she was a spunky little thing so we gave her the best possible life under the circumstances.

I'm not saying any of this to depress you, just so that you can be aware and prepare yourself and above all, dont blame yourself it doesn't make it.

1 person likes this.
  9. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Central New Hampshire
    i am assuming they were unsexed straight run??
    my thinking is that you have 2 boys and 1 girl

what are you feeding them, and are you adding niacin?
    ducklings need more protein than chicken chicks

10. DianeS1978

DianeS1978 Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2017
    Fl
    Yes they were not sexed and they are on the chick starter/grower I am learning on what to feed them as I go. What I do know is the little one is more at the food then they are and they do not push her/him away even though they are bigger

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by