Concerned of extended abdomen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jobmcd, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jobmcd

jobmcd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Any help is appreciated, new at the chick problems. I have a 5 chicks and the blue/green egg chick which is 2 weeks old abdomen is looking quite full, fuller than the others. I noticed that it's tummy extends out past it's wings whereas the others do not. I palped it and it's soft and mushy whereas the other little guys feel flat and harder.

I tried to look out for some poo today and saw her drop a normal looking one and than some that was watery and bubbly.

Any idea? we are definately in an area that has NO chicken dr.'s.

She is acting normal with the others but I'd say she seems a bit slower than the others but she's eating and drinking well. When she lies down you can tell how big her tummy is vs. the other guys.

Thanks for any feedback!

Rebecca

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Welcome to BYC, Rebecca.

Can you post a pic? Do you know what the breed is?

3. jobmcd

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I'm not sure of the breed, our friend who just purchased a farm has the eggs. I have spent days looking online to see if it resembles anything, all I can say is that it has the "chimpunk" look with the stripes on the head and down on the back. Blue egg, slate feet.

When it lays down it's laying down to the left side and it's belly is pushing to the right side.

4. jobmcd

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Forgot to mention I will try and get a good pic, now to figure out how to get the pic uploaded. I'm not chick smart nor am I computer smart, lol.

Thinking Americauna?

5. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It does sound like an ameraucauna w/ the chipmunk face & slate legs.

Is it kind of like this?
    [​IMG]

6. :D chicken

:D chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    well if it is an americauna i have two and one is bigger than the other but idk if your problem is a problem or not but if it is noticable i would probly do some research and see what i could find
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    good luck fellow chicken owner!

7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    btw, been meaning to add that as long as the chick doesn't seem distressed, it's probably not a problem.

Is it possible that the extended area you're talking about is the crop? Does it look like it's got 1 boob on 1 side?

8. jobmcd

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Quote:Forgive me, I don't know how to work this site, i saw the pic you posted and that looks like my chick! but on the page i'm on it doesn't show that pic. somehow i'm on different pages.

i'm not sure how to get a pic up

9. jobmcd

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Quote:Well, i've figured out how to respond to one's particular reply, getting somewhere.... crop, yeah, i've read about that but I assumed it was it's abdomen. It's not puffy and swollen looking as far up as it's "vent" more like around where it's umbilical cord/navel area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by