Concerned question about eggs, currently day 9...

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by HugHess, Aug 17, 2014.

1. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I have been all over the place with re-adjusting my incubating 'habits' as this is my first shot and I am trying not to outright 'blow' it.
    Noticed that the 'yolky' part of the eggs is on the lateral side of more than one egg, from below the air cell line down close to pointed end. I have yet to see this in any pics of people's candled eggs.
    Is this NORMAL or have I done something ill fated in the way I have kept them?
    (I have them in an egg carton in a Hova Bator 1602N Still Air resting on a 'roughly' 45 degree angle.)
    The first couple of days, unbeknownst to 'boneheaded' me, their temperature was way off on the low side, and I am also attempting the dry hatch method as we are pretty humid up here by Lake Erie.
    I got 9 eggs, one was infertile and I lost one yesterday, when I saw the blasted Red Ring, poor little 'F'...RIP...A-I are otherwise still in the game.
    Anyhoo, sorry...
    Candled after that and though eggs are starting to fill up with 'baby' this yolk thing is really starting to bug me because I can't find anything like it.
    Can anyone out here allay my fear and try to explain to me what may or may not be going on? Purty please? Willing to grovel at this point!
    I will appreciate any feedback...

Thanks

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi, I don't think you have any thing to worry about in my opinion I think what your describing is just the yolk attached to the embryo. I wouldn't worry as long as you have good spidery vein growth. I have found looking at candling pics is not what you actually see when candling eggs right in front of you. Good luck with your hatch.:fl

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Have you been rotating the eggs at all? It is usually recommended that the eggs are rotated at least 3 times a day, though rotating more often is wonderful.

Since they are in an egg carton, with one end propped up, you would just have to turn the egg carton around, so the other end was propped.

Are you incubating shipped eggs? Often, the best method to incubate shipped eggs is in an egg carton, which is why I ask.

4. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Thanks,
    I turned the heck out of these, picked up in person, eggs for the first seven to ten days (like around every 1-3 hours ) and then backed off a bit for the next eight, usually no less than 5-6 times a day.
    Day 1-17, before lock down, I put them in a cardboard egg carton on a homemade 45* angler...then on lock down day I water candled everybody (7) and there was only one not showing signs of life, though out of paranoia I put that one in the bator anyway. When I placed them back I put them in the top half of carton tilted slightly up on the vent holes.
    Two came out a day early and the other 4 showed up right on 'time'! Still getting over the 'shock' of six little 'bugs' running around!
    I appreciate your reply. Glad to know I thought like you and now have a success story to tell!
    Ok, back to Zen with the chickens....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Thank you Yorkshire,

I ended up with 6 out of 7 viable eggs in lockdown and I am gawking at six beautiful chicks running around the bator. So very excited!
    Giddy is more like it.
    Now I get to go to chapter '3' and bug the heck out anybody about 'raising' chicks...popping over to that forum again with my first 'real' post.
    Thank you again for the reply. Can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Sorry for the gap in reply, I don't seem to be getting (or paying proper attention) to replies.
    So into the hatching process that it seems like three weeks went by after my 3rd or 4th blink!

Sincerely,

New chick 'Mom', hehe[​IMG]

Addendum: Re-candled the 7th egg in water and I saw a bobble! So there is still hope for a 100% hatch rate, unbelievable!

1 person likes this.
  6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Thank you for the lovely reply. All this incubating has made me broody and I have gone and set eggs again in my incubator for last hatch of year.:weee. Can't wait already!! 6 out of 7 is very good for first time hatch you should be proud of your self.

7. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I 'wish' I could take most of the credit... I just thanked the heck out of the breeder who sent me this gift as I wholeheartedly believe she and her chickens did the important hard work and I just obsessed it into pure 'luck'!
    I went 'broody' after the first 7 days and have already tried to order 'Batch' #2! I feel for ya :0...
    Also, patting breeder and fellow BYC'er Chicks4MyFamily on the back ~ whom I purchased these beautiful LF English Lavender Orpingtons from!
    She rocks it with her chickens, IMO.
    Just had to add an addendum (for her) as I was just cleaning out 'unnecessaries' from the bator and decided to water candle the last remaining egg, low and behold, I got a bobble!
    Now, just when I thought the biggest part of freaking out was over, I have to figure out how to worry, or not to worry, about trying to let this egg go (I can't see inside this darker brown egg)... before I feel that distinct need to jump in and try to help.
    Lord help ME! Hopefully, right after he helps out '00number7' .... [​IMG].....
    (Hope to see you in the September hatch-a-long! I need cohorts! Makes this twice as much fun, right!?) Right!
    'See' ya soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by