Concerning Behavior

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sdchickgirl, Jun 5, 2016.

1. sdchickgirl

sdchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm concerned about my eight month old Red Rock, and her sister recently passed because she because she was having convulsions, lethargy, and diarrhea. I'm getting nervous because lately she's been sitting a lot and closing her eyes or standing in a corner hunched over. She'll perk up every once and a while but other than that she's been like this. She's not eating very much, she's drinking water, but her crop is pretty empty. I gave her electro lites in her day water and a preventative amount of corrid in her night water, but I really don't know what else to do and I don't want to lose another. Her droppings are greenish runny, with some whites. I'm not sure if this could have any correlation but she started laying at five months but stopped after only a few weeks. What should I do? It almost looks like she could have worms but I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. SweetandSavory

SweetandSavory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    I would treat with corrid instead of just preventative. That should be their only water source.

Also I think the poop is so green because she's not eating.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. sdchickgirl

sdchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2014
    Update
    Her poop is fairly normal now, but really small with occasional diarrhea. I treated her with corrid and her poop cleared up it seemed but she was still acting lethargic. She hasn't had much of an appetite at all and mostly just grazes. So she's gotten progressively worse and hardly has the strength to stand, so she really just either stands or sits around most of the day. Her crop is empty but I've noticed a softness in her crop area. But it's like at the base of her sternum kind of. So it doesn't seem like sour crop because of how small and low it is. It hasn't seemed to clear and seems to be getting slowly bigger. At first I thought she was eating but not very much but I think that the squishyness is just growing. It feels like fluid, does anyone know what this could be? Her comb is red like normal and she looks health besides the softness and lethargy. Also, every couple of minutes she seems to have a sort of neck spasm which causes her to stargaze, and when she tries to do something like clean herself or scratch her face she loses balance and kind of falls back into that position. Please help she's lost so much weight and i really don't want to lose her.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by