concerning egg *pics*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AndreaS, Sep 12, 2010.

1. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Emma is a 6 month old welsummer. She has been laying an egg a day since her first egg , on August 15th. She was the last of my five hens to start laying, by several weeks. All of her eggs have been normal until today. Tuesday and Wednesday she didn't lay an egg, then on Thursday, she did lay....but the egg was out in their yard instead of in the nest box, which is unusual. It also was colored slightly different then her usual speckled terra cotta eggs. It was speckled only at the top and the speckles were slightly bumpy. She went two more days without laying, and then today layed a thin shelled egg with what looks like egg white wrapped around it. Attached was a big chunk of white, which looked to be cooked by her body temperature?? [​IMG] I inspected her vent, and there is no leakage.

I'm worried about internal laying......it would be great if you guys would take a look and tell me what you think!

Back up information: they are eating countryside naturals organic layer feed 17% protein. They have
    free choice oyster shell and crushed granite grit. Treats are scrambled eggs about three times a week,
    yogurt, and fresh veggies from the garden. They get OACV in their water. I'm sure the egg is hers because I have a mixed flock and I can identify each bird's egg. She seems otherwise healthy, active and interested in food.

I'm hoping that she's just working out a little glitch in her system, and this isn't serious!

Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one is when I stretched the "chunk" out...

[​IMG]

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    she is probaly just working a systems gitch as you said but I no expert. maybe someone else will have a better idea.

3. AndreaS

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    I really hope that's the case! All the stories i've read about internal laying really scare me! [​IMG]

If it is just a glitch.....would it be that the white of the egg was only partially enveloped by the shell? The thin shell was completly solid....no punctures or anything, and one end of it was slightly firmer.....trying to figure out the logistics of how this would occur in her reproductive tract!

Andrea [​IMG]

4. AndreaS

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Andrea, I wouldn't worry too much right now. I've had my birds lay eggs just like those on rare occasions and they are not the ones who've had the issues.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ive had 2 soft shell eggs a couple weeks apart just up their calcium thats what I did and seems to work

7. AndreaS

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Great! Thank you guys so much!

I'm going to try mixing some of the dusty "flour" from the oyster shell in with their food to see if I can increase their calcium. They have free choice oyster shell, but I can't be sure that they are getting as much as they need. I've been mixing a little cod liver oil in with their scrambled egg for the vitamin D to hopefully increase calcium absorbtion.

The white chunk that was outside of the thin shelled egg is what had me really concerned, but I'm glad to know the consensus seems to be that it's not a big deal.

I tend to be a bit paranoid about my girls- probably has something to do with perusing all the chicken illness books and emergency posts on BYC! [​IMG]

Thanks again!

8. AndreaS

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    I'm just going to keep this post updated, in the event that something I update strikes a cord with someone. I'm still hoping this is just a glitch to be worked out, but I want to be proactive. [​IMG]

After the rubber egg/ egg white chunk on Sunday...

Emma did not lay Monday.

Tuesday She was in and out of the nest box all day, and sat in there for over an hour. She never laid.

This morning (wednesday) there was part of a rubber shell in the coop under her roosting spot. She must have passed it in the night. I could not see any remains of an egg though, just part of a shell.

No egg today.

So....either she still has some egg inside of her, or she laid a full rubber egg, and the girls ate it.

I gave her half a tums crushed in yogurt today, and I do have Pen G in the fridge, so if she starts to act sick/lathargic, i can use it.

Also.....she seems a little lame. Maybe off balance? This happened about 2 weeks before she started laying. I thought maybe she had hurt her foot somehow jumping down from a perch, etc.....when she is walking, she will loose balance and tip a little. Then she will drop her wing down for balance and right herself.

She did this for about 2 weeks prior to laying the first time, and it cleared up after that. It has just started again.

If she does have a injury....i'm thinking maybe the stress could be causing the rubber eggs....?

Or perhaps there is a disease that causes lameness and rubber eggs....?

I'm kinda brainstorming for myself here....but if any of this sounds familar to anyone, I'm open to suggestion!

Off to research the Merk Vet Manual!

9. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I am not sure where you are at but r your birds moulting? When my girls are moulting I get rubber eggs, so I up the protein & calcium. I would just keep an eye on her and push the yogurt, vitamins, & perhaps a bit of tuna for extra protein.

I just lost a chicken to internal laying it was sooo sad, so I am keeping my virtual fingers crossed for you hoping that your girl just hasn't fully gotton this egg laying thing down yet.

10. AndreaS

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Quote:Thanks for the tip! I'm in North Carolina, and the temperature have been pretty steady in the 80s/ low 90s. Although we are getting cooler mornings at this point. This is my first year raising chickens, so I'm not sure what the early signs of a moult are.....but I haven't seen any obvious feather loss.

I'm really hoping that she is still just getting into the swing of things! Emma is a sweet girl, and I would hate if something was wrong with her and I didn't catch it early enough to help because of my inexperience.

Sorry to hear about your loss! The internal laying stories are so sad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by