Concerning medicated feed and immunity building

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blondiebee181, Mar 21, 2012.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Hi, so I am new to the site and new to chick raising but I've been researching like mad to make sure I'm doing everything right. I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find a straight answer about. Okay so yesterday I went to the feed store and finally purchased 4 chicks and a duck. So, I have heard that you should not feed ducks medicated chick feed so I have all of them on flock raiser start. Now, what I want to know is, how likely will it be that they will contract cocciciosis? It is a fairly small flock, and I have been doing a good job keeping it clean and dry, but I would hate for them to fall ill.
    Secondly, will they still build up a natural immunity even when they don't get medicated feed? I would like to take them outside to play in a few weeks but I don't want that to make them sick, and I'm not positive what age will be the safest to take them out...help!

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    hi blondiebee181,

I just did a detection/prevention rant on another thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/640517/detecting-coccidiosis-early

Basically I describe how to approach non-medicated chick raising. It might be a bit detailed for you, but I hope it helps.

The key to it is not suddenly exposing them to a whole lot of the parasite at once. This can happen if you brood on fresh litter then put the birds out on garden soil, or it can happen in a brooder when damp warm conditions (e.g. under a heat lamp with spilled water) allow the parasite numbers to increase dramatically.

Kefir or lightly soured milk (even yoghurt) can be useful preventives.

Good luck,
    Erica

3. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure they'll be exposed to it and most chicks can fight it. In my experience Erica is spot on. I think you're on the right track.

I don't take chicks outside till they have enough feathers to keep their core warm. When I take them outside I make sure the day is warm, the sun is bright and the wind is still.

4. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for the advice guys, I just have 2 further small questions...the brooder is a box inside with a paper towel bottom (there are pine shavings under it but the duck decided to try eating them, hence the towel covering) So would it be a good idea to sprinkle some of the dirt from where the coop will be kept in the brooder? Also when should I attempt this? I know they are only a few days old as of yet because a couple still have their egg teeth. Along the same line, when should I give them preventatives like yogurt? Is there a certain kind? And this may sound funny but I read that Erica recommends sour milk...does that just mean out-dated milk? Is there any other preventatives that are good? Thanks guys, sorry it turned into more than 2 questions... :)

5. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Also, almost everything I am reading says that Amprolium is fine for ducks...just not necessary...i'm still thinking about getting a little medicated feed for the chicks, maybe I'm overreacting, I just don't wanna screw up at this because I'm new at it. I also considered just getting a bottle of Corid and waiting until they show signs of illness....ugh sorry if I'm annoying worrying about it. Thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by