Concerning 'squatting' behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AccioSarah, Sep 19, 2010.

1. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    My 21 week old Barred Rock, Stella, has been doing something very odd... she will suddenly squat down, tense up, and hold her wings aloof. My Rhode Island red, Lucy, (at least we think it's her, she's got the largest and floppy-ist comb) began laying last weekend, and we never saw her do this kind of behavior... so I don't think it's just Stella getting ready to lay. Could she have an impacted egg? Could something else be wrong? Please let me know! I'm a little worried about my Stella.

2. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    That's the egg squat. It is a sign of respect and also a sign of maturity and means if they're not laying they will be soon. Actually they are regarding you as head rooster and are.....well.....lets just say they are being friendly.

3. 4 luv of eggs

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    BTW, not all of mine do it all the time. You might try making a sudden reach for Lucy. She may squat for you then.

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    [​IMG][​IMG] They are simply "assuming the position" for you..

Funny how some tend to do it more than others..I guess it depends on the pecking order.. Some hens do it if I just walk past them, others only if I got to pick them up. Usually they stamp thier feet at the same time, which makes it even funnier..[​IMG]

5. 4 luv of eggs

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Quote:Like little German soldiers. [​IMG] When you pick them up or pet them they feel like they're made of stone.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I make sure to acknowledge their ... umm.... respect.... for me by patting them on the back, giving them a little skritch at the back of the neck by the shoulders, then another skritch at the base of their tail feathers, saying "Good girl!"

They come out of the pose with a little all-over shake of their feathers, just like they do when the rooster dismounts. Off to find another bug, business as usual.

7. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    When mine squat for me I always reach down and pick them up and carry them for a minute or two petting them and talking to them. I have been told they are identifying you as the roo, the boss of the flock when they do that. So I always make sure I let them know I notice the gesture. Also like to think that by picking them up and carrying them around it will reinforce to the other younger chickens, who is the ROO in the flock!

8. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    [​IMG] Too funny!!! I did NOT expect this at all... at least she's not sick! I'm glad they respect me so much now too. [​IMG]

Thank you all for your help! I feel so much better now!

9. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    When they do that, you should give them a good pet on the back...just like a rooster would (without the actual mating part of course).

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have one leghorn that squats every time she even SEES me. Silly girl. [​IMG] I do the pat on the back thing, which works about half the time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by