1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

concerning treats, how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aldarita, Feb 10, 2013.

1. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I have 9 hens (10 months old), all of them are laying and have been eating layer feed since they were 5 months.They free range mostly everyday for about three hours, to bring them back to their run I give them 2 cups of scratch mixed with three hand fulls of dry meal worms, then I give them about 2 cups of either mixed fruit or mixed veggies (all fresh) in the afternoon when I pick up their eggs. They eat their layer feed since I keep it in the feeder which they have access all day. They also have a small container with oyster shells and another one with grit. I don't know if I am giving them too many treats and if I need to cut down to make them eat more feed which is balance and has everything they need. I also give them black sun flower seeds to keep them entertained and from fighting when they are in the run. I would like to know your opinions about how many treats we should give our chickens without ruining their balanced nutrition.

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I don't regulate my hens treats I toss the kitchen scraps out once a day and let them eat whatever they want. Sometimes it sits out a bit because they don't finish it, but it's usually gone by morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by