Concerns over commercial feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Irish6425, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Irish6425

Irish6425 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I am new to Backyard Chickens and have spent the past 2 days reading through everything and have seen arguments for & against only allowing free range & scratch feed. Commercial grain is not an option for my family because of the chemicals it has in it, even the organic feeds. We live a chemical, additive free diet and if we are feeding our chickens chemicals then we in turn are eating them.

Does anyone know of any companies that make feed with no additives and/or chemicals and are organic? The only things I have seen is the scratch feed. Does anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share? I have pullets that will be layers and some that will be broilers.

2. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    There is some great info on these sites as well.

Not sure about the organic part .... I know organic would be better for them, But I just feed whole grains I mix up from my local feed mill.
    I also want to say... This is my first flock I am feeding whole grains to. I did have to grind the grains when they were little. (too big to eat)
    The flock of 40 are now 8 weeks old. Almost eating all there feed as whole grains now. good luck.

http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/making-poultry-feeds-1.html

http://twohunnyzrabbitry.webs.com/wholegrainchickenfeed.htm

3. Irish6425

Apr 9, 2012
    Houston, TX
  4. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    That's great! Glad you found some. [​IMG]

How many are you getting? They are sooooooo cute when they are little.

5. Irish6425

Apr 9, 2012
    Houston, TX
    We originally had 14 but lost electricity one night when they were young and lost one. They are 5 weeks old now and just moved into the coop. We got an Easter orphan that is about 10 days old and she is our baby now! I wish I had the land to get more breeds! I love seeing the differing personalities of the breeds. I love my RIRs, but I am an aggressive, don't take sh*t from anyone kinda girl so we get along. [​IMG]

I have to say my 2 cornish have a warm place in my heart too. Not a good thing since we will be eating them in another month or two.

6. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I know they all have so different personalities. They are soooo much fun. Mine are 8 weeks old now, I have 36 girls and 4 roo's.

They are in the new coop now for a few days learning the new coop is their new home.

can't wait to let them out again. love watching them in the yard.

I hope your feed source works out for you. I would love to do organic feed for our chickens, and organic for us as well. All those chemicals are really bad. they are everywhere. Not a good thing.

I have been feeding (not organic) whole grain feed I mix myself. This is the first flock I am trying this with so a bit nervous.

They do look great thou.

I try not to name my chickens...but our daughter has. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by