Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
I recently just put together a chicken coop with pressure treated wood. I didn't even think about the chemicals used for it. I just spend hundreds of dollars and now I'm concerned about my (pet) chickens health. I didn't even think about it until someone brought it up when I was done. What should I do? Is pressure treated wood from home Depot dangerous today? Is there anyway I can reduce their exposure by putting plastic sheets like trash bags over it?

Don't worry about it. They use a much safer process these days and the wood will not expose your chickens to dangerous chemicals. However, any saw dust lying around could pose a problem if they eat any of it.

I built a new covered run several years ago and used treated wood for the posts. None of my chickens have suffered any ill effects in the years since.

Sounds like you built a great coop that will last! Different chemicals used now, and much safer all around. If you are really concerned, you can seal it - stain or paint - depending on what you prefer. You'll have a number of choices to choose from at the big box stores. Typically, with most of the sealers, you actually need to let the wood dry for up to 2 months (read the label on the different products as they will give you the specific application guidelines) before you apply it.

As pointed out, sawdust is the only thing you want to watch out for, and you are supposed to use pressure treated approved fasteners that will not erode in PT wood. When I built my enclosed run, I used stainless steel in some areas, and then the approved fasteners in others depending on the fastening need.

The much scarier stuff is when people use the old school railroad ties that had the creosote in them. The modern PT wood available today, don't sweat it. In 20 years when you're coop still looks great and is solid, you'll be glad you did it!

Back
Top Bottom