Conclusion about chickens pecking & eating their feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Dec 28, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I now have come to the conclusion that it was lack of protein. I bought some manna pro Poultry Conditioner which is 22% protein & gave them fish, venision,& chicken. Thats what they have been eating along with veggies, some Boss, alittle yogurt & cottage cheese. Not all at once but spread out for the past week. The pecking has seemed to stop & their vent areas that were pecked to no end seems to be healing. I did remove the cockeral who started all this feather pecking. My question is when should I re-introduce him to the pullets. He has been in jail for almost a week. He's in the new coop which is around the corner from where the girls are. I haven't let them free range because I'm not sure what would happen if the girls walked by the coop he's in.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I would probably put him back now. But before I did, I would trim his nails just to help cut down on feather damage. You were feeding him the increased protein also, right?

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I added peepers to the chickens that I caught feather picking. The peepers plus extra protien has stopped the pecking in my flock.

4. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:No, I have been feeding him 17% laying pellets & some boss.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why wouldn't you put the cockerel who started the feather pecking on the same feeding regimen? If it was indeed a protein deficiency problem, nothing has been changed in his case. If protein deficiency was the problem, he will probably go right back to feather pecking.

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I still have him isolated. Yesterday, I put some blue kote on their vents & noticed this morning that 3 or 4 of the girls had purple beaks. So, I'm right back where I started. I just ordered the pinless peepers. Hopefully this will solve the problem. In the mean time I'll up the protein for the cockeral. I wasn't thinking thanks for your help.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would have been a good opportunity to boost his nutrition. Plenty of roosters live on layer, as they are in with the flock, but it's not really that good for them. The calcium can damage organs, shortening their life, and they really need more protein than layer provides.

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    What are pinless peepers?

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:http://www.eggcartons.com/product-exec/product_id/754/nm/Pinless_Peepers_PINLESS_P

A word about these folks at eggcartons.com- They are AWESOME!!! I ordered my pinless peepers 2 days before Christmas and they arrived the next day. I was able to put them on the worst picker in my flock on Christmas eve. I will be using these folks again for any of my poultry needs. Very nice to deal with, fair pricing, and quick delivery. Got to love that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by