Concrete blocks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ivyblaze, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    Does anyone here think that 80lbs concrete blocks surrounding my run would help to detour the raccoons and bobcats from digging under the run?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Not nearly as much as a wire apron would

3. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    I would imagine that 80lb concrete blocks would make digging difficult. Are you planning on burying them part way? A lot of people on here with predator problems bury an apron of chicken wire around their runs to prevent digging. That is what we are planning on doing with ours.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe the blocks would help some. If something digs hard enough under them, it would come down on their heads(hopefully)

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If something digs hard enough under them, it would come down on their heads(hopefully)

If you have a 16 inch block, an animal could dig a 12 inch wide hole under it and the block still wouldnt move at all.

If you butt the blocks end to end, and the animal dug at the joint, it could dig a 16 inch wide hole, and still have 8 inches of support under the blocks on each side​

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Raccoons and bobcats climb over - they dont dig under.

If your run is secure from the top - they may try it, but normally they don't.

The best way (and least expensive) I've found to deter digging is with chicken wire. Get a 24inch wide roll & put 12inches along the bottom of the fence & the other 12inches in the grass (kind of L shape). Diggers are too dumb to back up to dig. They always dig at the bottom of the fence. They can't get through chicken wire & in just a couple of weeks it will sink into the grass & you will never see it again.

Be sure to use galvanized or it will disolve in a year. Galv lasts much longer. I'll tell you how long when mine is gone (been 3 years now)

7. willheveland

willheveland Songster

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I've used and still have big flat rocks around the bottom, laid like a patio around the run. As long as they are heavy and nice and tight they should help from digging under. Just watch for the climbers. Will

8. jjparke

jjparke Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    To help keep my coop cool I would leave the door open but I had some wire mesh nailed to the header of the door but weighed down on the bottom with 2- 80 blocks. Two foxes pulled the blocks off and hauled off 22 of my chickens. So to answer your question I would say no.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: