concrete coop floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jonas, May 12, 2009.

1. jonas

jonas New Egg

May 2, 2009
    Ive got 8 young - 2 weeks old hens that will be residing in my 10x15 coop when the time comes. My question is about poop clean up. My coop floor is concrete and I understand where I place the roosts is where most of the droppings collect. Im not sure what is the best. Ive seen boxes to collect it with a wire top to keep the hens our, #2 a thinner mess wire to collect the poop, and then just a bunch of hay on the concrete and replace it with fresh when necessary. Not sure what type of mess to expect when they get bigger. thanks

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    If I had a concrete floor, I would be in heaven. I would just put shavings down about 6" thick. It will be easy to clean and if it ever gets really bad, you can hose it off.

By the way [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    I am fixing to concrete in my coop and barn with all this rain my barn is completely flooded! Concrete will be my way to go from now on!

4. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    the floor that you have will work just fine that is a good way to clean it just hose it off pick the old stuff up and take care of it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I have a concrete floor and I just put a thicker layer of wood shavings under the roost. It's easy just to shovel up when coop cleaning comes. The concrete floor is also nice when it's hot hot out. All my girls come in and move the wood shavings and sprawl on the floor.

6. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Let's see.....the trays with mesh across....a few friends HAD them, they thought the cleaning was a little extensive when it came time to scrape the mesh....the extra shavings under the roosts will help, then just shovel it out. THAT"S WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO![​IMG]

7. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    We have concrete in all of our call duck pens, except for our breeder boxes. Everyday just a spray off with a hose and all clean again. The runoff makes the yard so green!

8. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Welcome, jonas [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You're gonna love having concrete.

Also, Welcome, kawonu [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All DUCKS stick together! [​IMG]

9. jimmoose

jimmoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Edisto Island SC
    Once you bite the bullet and get the concrete, everything else will pale.
    Waterproof, does not rot, if graded correctly will run the dropping and
    water right off and is near damage proof.
    Can you tell that I've been a concrete contractor for 30 years?
    jim
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by