Concrete floor chicken house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FarmalI, Dec 30, 2013.

1. FarmalI

FarmalI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    I am wanting to build a new chicken house with a concrete floor, anyone got any pictures, blueprints, or tips that will help?

2. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Is your coop going to be on the ground or elevated? Another floor you could use is fake waterproof tiles. I am not exactly sure what it is called but it makes cleaning up super easy! We nailed it on the floor and half way up the walls. And on coop clean out day, We just rinse it out with a hose and nothing rots. A lot of people on this website say that sand works really well, and the deep litter method (DLM).

3. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    I was thinking about trying to have a concrete floor and then have it one or two concrete blocks high then make a wood frame. Right now i have an all wooden house and its hard to clean because the litter gets inbetween the wall and the studs and i dont like the wooden floor either.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would suggest making sure the concrete floor is properly sloped so if you want/need to hose it down the water drains out.

What climate do you live in?
    Concrete can generate condensation and that humidity can cause respiratory problems and increase the stink factor.

It would certainly solve predator dig ins.

Good Luck!

5. MyPetNugget

If you are going to have an all concrete floor I would recommend you have something to cover it like hay or sand. I would also be sure to have ventilation to stop humidity. Are you going to put concrete ontop of a wood board? To prevent the wood from bowing, use pressure treated wood instead of regular wood.

6. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    I live in south west Missouri.

7. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    Ya, i plan to put straw or wood shavings down on top of the floor. For ventilation what do you mean, i plan to have a few windows , is that what you mean. And what do you mean by putting concrete ontop of wood boards?

8. MyPetNugget

I thought that you were going to put the concrete floor inside of the wooden frame. Sorry I did not read that properly. For ventilation windows are great!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  9. haddoca

haddoca New Egg

Jun 13, 2013
    I had an old 20 x 20 concrete pad in the backyard that I built a chicken shed on this fall. One half of the coop has sides on it, the other side is just chicken wire enclosed.

I've found that the concrete is really easy to clean off with a flat head shovel and because rain and snow doesn't get into the coop, the chicken poop on the floor doesn't get wet and stink... I've only been cleaning out the coop once a month or so.

Originally I put a deep layer of straw in the coop but I found that it really isn't necessary. The bare floor is much easier to maintain and I've been putting a little sand and fireplace ash in part of the coop for the chickens to dust in and scratch around it.

Overall, I've found the concrete floor to be a good low odor and easy to maintain solution. My chickens are very healthy looking and seem happier with this set up.... I'm getting more eggs on average now with this set up than I was getting in the summer months when I had several smaller dirt floor coops.

10. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    ok,, with the building frame, i was hoping to either put it on one or two concrete block high, or just use concrete to make a one foot wall or so before the wood framing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by