concrete floor - please advise me

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dlfridie, May 8, 2009.

1. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Hey,
    I have rhode island red chickens about 6wks old.
    I set up the dog run by covering it w/ poultry wire and 2 boards over one end. They sleep in a Med. size dog carrrier cover w/ a clear plastic tote.
    I do not know what is the best floor litter to use since the run is sitting on a concrete slab.
    I put a pile of pine shavings in one spot and some play sand in another spot. Both r still fairly wet as it has rained here almost everyday this week. What is the bedt option to cover the bottom with?
    This will be used temporarily until I can find a more rural residence.

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    What's the best thing to put on open weather concrete? Nothing at all. Nothing at all.....

No matter what you put down, unless there is a solid roof over the area [and even then] it will become soaked by rain and be worse than just the bare concrete.

Be more concerned about the bedding in the dog carrier staying dry for the birds and that rain doesn't blow in on them.

How many chickens?

3. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Hey,
    Thank you. 2 hens are enjoying the 10'x5' pen. The bedding in the carrier stays dry.
    Pine straw falls inside and they love to scratch around in it.

I keep the chick feeder under a large plastic clear tote that is upside down and angled off the ground. They have a good time catching flying bugs that go in and get trapped.
    They seem to enjoy going in and out of different containers,eating honeysuckle leaves and tossing blackberries around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by