1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

concrete floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by juliachick, Apr 10, 2009.

1. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    Ok we are stumped. My husband is building our coop using mostly scrap wood on top of an existing cement floor. He was planning on using 4x6's around the base (originally it was going to be like a log cabin design). How do we keep rain from flowing under the wood? This is our first time building a coop and are trying to work w/materials we have so forgive our ignorance. I was thinking we could put the trim they put at the bottom of a garage door around the base. Anyone else build on concrete and any other advice?

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    You could run a bead of caulking around the outside at the bottom of the wood. Might have to do it once a year but that would help.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Go to the hardward store and get an exterior silicone caulk. I can't remember exactly what it is called.
    I had this exact set up years ago in which I used 2 x 6's for the base and this is what I did. Never had water enter. You do need to keep up with the maint. and make sure you re-caulk when needed.
    Others may have better ideas/

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    if the coop is the same size as the slab overlap with the 2X6 a little. if not, use generous amounts of silicon caulk as others mentioned.

5. farminhell

farminhell New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    Hell Michigan
    Use a sill seal, Its is foam that goes between your bottom plate and the concrete. Google "sill seal" and you will see what i am talking about.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I am a building contrator and this is the perfect stuff for your needs. this is what it was made for, cheap too, sold by the roll.

AL

7. farminhell

farminhell New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    Hell Michigan
    Yup remodeling contractor here. Its what the stuff is made for.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would love to have a concrete floor in my coops.

9. farminhell

farminhell New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    Hell Michigan
    Its actually pretty easy. Just do do your standard sub floor out of 3/4" plywood. Then put down roofing felt, then nail diamond thath on the floor and pour 2" of concrete over the top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by