Concrete floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lauraloon, Jan 10, 2014.

1. lauraloon

lauraloon New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    East Tennessee
    I am thinking of building a chicken coop would it be a good idea for me to lay out a concrete floor? I'm worried about it being too hard or getting too cold even with a layer of soft cushy.

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Just a HEADS UP!
    In some zoning & building codes concrete floors puts you construction into another classification of building and no longer considered an out building and not taxable. (it may not apply in your area).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. lauraloon

lauraloon New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    East Tennessee
    okay I will look into building codes thank you. I live in east tennessee in the woods my landlords are very loose on rules and said chickens will be no problem. Im mostly concerned about whats easiest to keep clean but also doesnt have a negative impact on my chickens as well.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    A wood decking floor will be cheaper and keep the chickens from scratching through the bedding to the dirt/mud. 6" wide decking boards layed on spaced 4x4's will make a quick and sturdy coop floor. A raised floor is a must for my area to keep the coop dry during times of flooding. Add an ample layer of pine chips over that and you are good to go! Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A dirt floor with a layer of sand will absorb spills, allow the chickens to turn the soil over and allow poop to decompose naturally, and be comfortable to walk on. The sand will keep any mud under control.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by