Concrete flooring

The Cave

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello Everyone,

I was just curious if you had your coop built on concrete what are you using as a base? Just the concrete or do you put matts or anything down on top before bedding? I feel like in the winter the concrete would be very cold and it can sweat in the summer and in some cases cause moisture if I am not mistaken. On top of that it doesn't dry very well at all. We have pretty good ventilation. It is an 8x12 barn type structure. The walls have a concrete base about 2' up then wood to the roof with over hang of roof with ventilation vents all around, a window and two exit doors for the chickens one being a man door.

We haven't moved chickens into this coop because the floor took us so long to dry up and seal the man door entrance to prevent rain water/melting snow from entering. I was thinking of laying down screenings and then thick rubber matts on top just to try to prevent moisture from getting to chickens in case the concrete does sweat or a bit of water gets in through window when it is open.

The concrete floor coops with which I have experience are all in Texas.

Since hay was what we had, hay was what we used as bedding.

The coop had a front wall that was all wire protected from weather by a deep eve/porch. The other 3 walls were bottom solid and top all wire... super deep eves to protect from weather.

Maybe because of the excellent ventilation I never noticed any moisture on the concrete. If rain ever got blown into the coop, it dried out fast.

I have a concrete floor in my coop and love it. I just put a thick layer of bedding directly on the floor. I have never had any issues with moisture on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom