1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I have a weird shaped concrete slab and a coop I plan to use but have to move and build a run around. Can I put the coop on this slab and make an enclosed run there? It would be soooo easy to build, clean and keep predators out of it....is concrete just a terrible idea? I have yet to get a bird on my property....just trying to get educated.

2. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Goofy me....I posted this same question a couple weeks ago and for some reason didnt see the replies until now! But please...if anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear it. I can't free range I am afraid. I have a labrador who finds it a thrill to kill a bird. She got a neighbors guinnea in our pasture which was sadly witnessed by the whole family. I wish they would stay at thier own home. I've made a great effort to keep her in our fenced yard or in the house since then but that is not always the case with tiny kids opening doors.[​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You'd have to put something down on top of the concrete, I'd imagine. Chickens like to scratch in something, and just concrete would be rough on their feet possibly leading to bumblefoot infections. A good thick couple of inches of sand ought to work.

4. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    A good deal of my run is on natural concrete- solid granite exposed bedrock that is. Actually I guess its better than concrete as its non-porous. I keep a lot of straw on top of the rock and it seems fine.. I also have a concrete floor in my coop and keep a good 12" of bedding on it. LOVE it. Had a vinyl tile floor in my last coop and like this better. I'm sure you'll love it. It is completely predator proof to all digging and scratching animals, as well as pests like mice, who make holes in the ground which are later excavated by weasels. Thumbs up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by