Concreting chicken pen?

A concrete slab is pretty expensive, is one consideration.

For the coop, it is excellent -- basically digging-predator-proof, and mudproof, and easy to clean and disinfect. (Obviously you need to use sufficient bedding on top of the concrete). I have a slab-floored coop and LOVE it. There are a few situation-specific and temporary disadvantages but really on the whole, Yay Concrete for the coop
smile.png

For a run, though, I wouldn't do it if you have any other choice. It's hard on their feet and joints, any bedding/footing you put on it will tend to wash off in heavy rains, and they can't scratch around or dig dusting holes. I have raised CornishX with a concrete run to their pen (with about 3-5" of chipped wood bedding on it) but only b/c that's what was available -- I wouldn't do it on *purpose* and I certainly wouldnt' do it for regular chickens if I had ANY alternative. (If you are forced to put your run on slab, you can put retainer boards and 6++" of sand/gravel in there, as being better than nothing)

JME, good luck,

Pat

Quote:
well I plan on concreting the whole thing. run and all, but I let all my chickens free range during the day and just put them up at night so would it still be ok to concrete the whole thing?

If they aren't on it all day, it wouldn't be so bad. Can you give them a kiddie pool of sand in there? It would give them an area to get off the concrete that would be softer for them. It would also give them a place to dust bathe and dig around.

Even when you plan on free ranging, they still end up spending time in the run. Sometimes more than you originally planned on.

Back
Top Bottom