1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Condensation in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catschickies, Dec 18, 2016.

1. catschickies

catschickies Just Hatched

Nov 27, 2016
    Hi all..1st winter with chickens. 8by12 coop with 24 chickens. Pine shavings on floor. Two vents 8 by 16 in opposite soffit. Two windows closed. Here's my problem..condensation on windows when in 30s or so and frost when colder. No sign of frostbite and chicken seem happy and healthy. Floor shavings feel damp sometimes but it might just be cold instead. I love my chickens so need any suggestions or thoughts for changes I need if any. I have learned so much from you all..thanks for your help[​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! You do need more ventilation, soon! Condensation inside is a sure thing, and your vents are not enough. Pictures will help here. Bigger upper hardware cloth covered openings will work, on the south side if possible, or the east. Away from storm winds. Mary

3. catschickies

Nov 27, 2016
    Thank you mary for your response. I will try to get pics of inside and outside coop tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully that will help me get detailed help as I am a newbie and may be keeping it too tight thinking I'm helping them.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Rule of thumb from the old school was 1 SF or vent space per 10 SF of floor space. That would mean about 10 SF of vent space for you. You have less than 2 SF, so 5X as much as you have now. That would be the minimum. More would not hurt.

Runs counter to what we would think. Moisture is the culprit and it has to get out.

5. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Open the windows?

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    What's your climate? Temps? Opening the windows will work if it's not too cold, which is relative... Mary

7. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
  8. catschickies

Nov 27, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

9. catschickies

Nov 27, 2016
    [​IMG]