condensation on coop windows

mstricer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Ohio
This is my first winter having chickens, My coop is insulated and has two windows, one window, we covered with plexi glass (which can be taken off in summer) and it has a shutter. The other one has a shutter, but no plexi glass, for ventilation. we have a roof vent also. The window with the plexi glass has condensation on it. Is it due to their breathing? The pic on left is the one that is now covered with plexi glass. The one on the right has a shutter that comes down. Do I have enough ventilation?
22834_064coop.jpg
22834_062coop.jpg

Is the condensation a light film, like you'd get if you breathed on the window, or a soaking good runoff? Does it happen only on damp days or all the time?
Plexiglass tends to fog up a bit more easily than glass, especially if only one layer and we have a window like that in the coop that gets a bit of fog or frost on very cold days.
If you think it is excessive or if you have seen mold, you probably need a bit more ventilation, high up in the coop.

Also, check for little leaks that might be letting in damp air around the plexiglass or the shutter- it could be that simple.
cool.png

Last edited:
What is the temperature difference between indoor and outdoor; and is the condensation *only* on the windows, or is it also elsewhere.

If there is "enough" (sorry, can't define it more precisely
tongue.png
) temperature difference between indoor and outdoor, you can have totally-acceptable humidity indoors and yet still have annoying-but-unavoidable-and-fairly-harmless condensation on windows. Just b/c the windowpanes get so cold. To some degree you can diminish this by putting plastic film or bubblewrap over the windows, but even then, with a large temperature difference it can happen. There is only so much you can fight physics
tongue.png

If there is condensation elsewhere, or *lotsa* condensation on the windows, or the coop feels clammy or smells ammonia-y, or if you put a PROPERLY CALIBRATED hygrometer (i.e. use the salt method to calculate correction factor, don't trust what it literally reads) in there and it says you have humidities over 75% or so, then you DO need more ventilation (or heat, or a different climate... but *usually* ventilation will do it)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

How often do you get rid of the poop? It contains moisture and contributes to humidity equally to breathing if not more. I have poop planks and scrape them daily first thing in AM BEFORE feeding.
sickbyc.gif
I also throw open 2 of the 4 windows and allow a COMPLETE air change out. Only then do I fill feed trough. I usually do not close windows until afternoon, and may leave partly open depending on temp. How many sq ft of full-time ventilation do you have exclusive of windows/doors?

I have around 6 sq ft for 24 chooks. All of it is above the 8 ft height of the coop. Windows is how I control it allowing for both seasons and expected overnight temps. Hope that helps. A little fog now and then, no big deal. Drops of sweat, big deal and major health concern.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom