condensation on inside of hoop coop in morning.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jamband, Jul 22, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have an approx 90 sq ft portable hoop coop my chickens live in. I also live in the north carolina mts so we have pretty heavy dew in the morning. this is resulting in dew/ condensation on the inside top of the coop. is this a problem? the coop is moved every 7 days so just ground floor. The the front wall is open completely and the back is open the top 2 ft. thanks

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Unless the material you constructed it out of is susceptible to water damage, it should not be a problem. Considering the amount of ventilation you should have with the wall open, it probably doesn't remain wet long (and shouldn't). However, keep an eye on the surfaces that routine collected condensation. Over time, they will collect excessive dirt and may foster some mold growth. Not a real serious issues unless it gets too bad, so it'd probably be best to wipe it down periodically.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    If it does become a big problem, you could probably mount a small fan (probably the little "personal" 4 inch size would do it) to blow on the area, and then connect it to an automatic on at dusk, off at dawn photocell outlet. A little air flow would stop the condensation from forming.

4. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    not worried about the coop. just making sure thats not excessive moisture for them....thanks

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Just make sure that you have plenty ventilation in your coop. and if not then go ahead and cut windows and install screens.

6. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    the front open and the back is adjustable with tarp.....can really put windows in a hoop coop...

thanks all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by