Condensation Problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkie_boi, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Silkie_boi

Silkie_boi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2007
    Hi, ive just added more water to my bator for the las three days about half an our ago, but ive noticed that the lid of the incubator has got quite a bit of condensation on it at the moment. Is this ok and will it calm down?

2. jazzchicken

jazzchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    I had the same problem the first day mine were in the bator. It turned out that I had too much water. Do you have a hygrometer??

3. Silkie_boi

Nov 9, 2007
    yes i have a hygrometer, but im suppose to add water to get the humidity up for hatch. Humidity is sittin just under 80 atm.

4. jazzchicken

jazzchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    Then I guess it is normal. I know that you have to up the humidity the last 3 days. I am new at the whole incubating thing. I guess the condensation is normal, but I'm not sure

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If there's condensation, this means one of two things, you put in water hotter than the bator temp, or two, humidity is near 100%. If it is the first, just let it settle down, if it is the second, open up more vents to drop the humidity. Good luck!

6. Silkie_boi

Nov 9, 2007
    yea the water was hotter than the water already in, thats what i thought was the problem. Humidity is sitting under 80, ill give it till tomorrow morning (its 2am here) and if its not calmed down ill fix it.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm having a problem with condensation as well, but it says it's at 58%. Not sure what temp the water was when I added it... I am just doing a test run. Cold probably. Any ideas what I should do? If my readings are that far off, I don't know how I'm going to regulate humidity.

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Guitartists-Are you sure your hygrometer is reading correctly?

9. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    It's brand new...... how can I know?

10. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I added a second one, from my daughter's hermit crab cage... we will see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by