Condition of Shipped Eggs on Arrival: How Should They Look?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by angusb, Mar 22, 2012.

1. angusb

angusb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    I am talking other than the obvious "not broken." I received some shipped eggs and when I went to candle them, it seems that the yolk is kind of floating at the top where I would expect the air cell to be (top=big end, since these have been sitting big-end-up in an automatic turner for two days). The thing is, I don't really know what I should be seeing when I look at these eggs. I've heard people say that their shipped eggs arrived scrambled in the shell, but I don't know what that looks like. If I turn an egg kind of on its side while candling it, the dark mass stays at the big end. If I hold it big-end-up over the candler, but rotate it side-to-side, the dark mass (the yolk?) kind of swishes around, back and forth. I guess it was just the motion of the thing that made me think maybe this egg had sort of come unglued inside. Is this normal? What should I see if I candle a newly shipped egg?

Thanks,

Angus

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    I just ordered my first hatching eggs as well and that is similar to what I saw... Mine were treated very badly by the PO though and I worry that they are no good now... I even had bubbles that swooshed from one end of the egg to the other. I would like to hear some experienced answers also.

3. angusb

Jul 24, 2009
  4. curranchickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Oh my!!!!! I am so glad you shared that link! It gives me sol much hope!!!! My eggs were handled badly but packed VERY well in my opinion. In face I was hoping that I got lucky and only the blue eggs were rolling around because they happened to be on the top of the box. Thanks! Now I am second guessing the 7 days... Maybe alittle less... Might do even more research... Uggggggggggggg. I can not wait to be an experienced hatcher!

1 person likes this.
  5. angusb

Jul 24, 2009
    Sad to say, the eggs I received today looked even worse than the ones in that thread I posted! I wish I knew what to look for as far as air cell, etc. I got some that were unbroken, so I still have some hope for the ones that survived.

6. curranchickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Wow... so sorry... How many did you order and how many were not broken? Mine all had detached air cells but no broken eggs or cracks. I thought it was the end of the world. I wrote to the shipper and she politely said, "chill out" she also said that I seemed full of nothing but anxiety and I should just enjoy the eggs and wait and see what happens. I was enlightened... she was right. I am going to just see what happens. Now I feel like an over reactor because it obviously can be so much worse!

7. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    if you handel those shipped eggs correctly, you will have air cells healed completly by day 7... we posted the shipped egg cheat sheet over on the easter egg hatch thread.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes, aveca's shipped egg sheet is GREAT - I have far more developing out of my current set than I ever have had from shipped eggs. Here it is -
    And Thanks, aveca! :D

Shipped Eggs Sheet Hi all, Aveca sent me her notes for hatching shipped eggs. If this works and a lot of us use it with our shipped eggs, the hatch ratio contest will be out of bounds this

time Here it is--Remember, these instructions are for shipped eggs: it says allow eggs to sit 12 - 24 hrs in a place where if they are cool , they can warm up slowly. leave them after carefully unwrapped upright inside cartons and close lid so they will not warm up too quickly. eggs that warm too quickly , or cool too quickly are shocked . causes lower hatch rate.one of the reasons shipped eggs do not fare well..slow cooling and heateing give better success. cool eggs can remain in cool area, remember warm very slowly, do not ever shock shipped eggs or any egg by throwing it in the incubator , this causes condensation on the inside of the cool egg and bactieria begin to grow and kill the egg. always warm eggs slow;ly,.... try to keep already warm eggs stable, do not allow those to take sudden chill. never be inpatient to get eggs in incubator.warm eggs that take a sudden drop in temps will kill the developing germ. even in late development. you should have your incubator up and running days befor they arrive and be stabalized. place eggs upright carefully in turner trays or cartons if hand turning. allow shipped hatching eggs to sit upright position in incubator with egg turner off for 7 - 10 days , this allows air cell to stabalize and give the germ time to organise and get a healthy start without constantly being moved disturbing delicate vessels and cell formation. shipped eggs most likley suffered some damage, constantly disturbing this formation will give lower hatchs. depending on damage, turn your egg turner on day 7 and allow eggs to be turned for the last part of incubation. this excercises the embryo and prevents the embryo from laying in an area where waste product inside the eggs collects, helps circulation and proper development. Run your humidity lower than recomended to help air cells to dry down and helps in healing.unless eggs are coming from very arid regions where the cells start out larger due to rapid evaporation. do NOT lay shipped eggs down on thier sides in most cases during lockdown. it is best to sit these in slightly cut down paper cartons... do not use styro cartons as they heat and release chemicals that can be toxic. cutting the side of the carton down just a little ensures pipping can occur without running into carton wall. sometimes befor or during shipment conditions are right for the germ to begin to develope, this is the most delicate time for a hatching egg. and the time when most are damaged ..tiny blood vessels are beginning to form, and cells are deviding and organizing , and being shocked with sudden temp changes and shaking .so dont beat yourself up if all of your shipped eggs do not hatch, more than air cell damage , the germ itself became disorganized and cannot re build itself. that is why the freshest shipped eggs are most desirable. you will get a larger percentage to hatch using this method and conditions in your incubator are correct. it is so worth it to buy from a good breeder. often it just isnt possible to drive across the country just to pick up some eggs or birds so try this method and happy hatching, remember post office personel are not trained in handeling these products , thier job is just to move item place to place..hopefully there was not a drastic temp change or prolonged air flights in sub freezing cargo in low 02, 30 thousand

9. curranchickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    I am crossing my fingers! :) We are actually talking about this on the other thread and I noticed you just commented on it as well. Thanks for "the plan" to get these eggs hatched!

10. kraftyladies

kraftyladies The Back Acres Farm

Apr 11, 2011
    Sunny North FL
    Quote: Ok, so for the first 7-10 days, no turning at all? then turn until day 18? Just want to make sure I am getting this, because I am going to be getting some shipped eggs soon that I have wanted for quite some time. I want to get this right!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by