Conditioning Birds for Show

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BCB, May 21, 2010.

1. BCB

BCB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    SW Missouri
    What are the pros and cons of conditioning feather footed birds on wood shavings vs. wire?

2. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    From what I've heard (and experienced), wire can cause the feathers to break off at the tips, but shavings can allow the foot feathers to get poopy and gross.

3. cochin-dexter

cochin-dexter New Egg

May 23, 2010
    wire works alot better for birds that are light colored, just make sure the wire doesnt get rusty. wood shavings are in my opinon are more work, having to cange it so often.

4. JSGamefowl

JSGamefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    i put my show birds in 55 gal barrel , with wash sand in the bottom about a week or 2 before a show , if you dont know what im talking about then google barrel colony, they are very good , the wash sand keeps feathers clean , only thing is if the birds to big like a jearsy giant it may not work ,

5. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    What a fabulous idea and no feather breaks from wire. I may have to hunt up some of those. TY! We usually go with a sand and shavings mix, but were going to try some booties this year.

Have to scroll down. http://www.silverpulletpoultry.net/forsalepage.htm

6. BCB

BCB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I've never heard of the barrel idea! I might try that with a few and see how they turn out. thanks!

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, my booties work great to keep foot feathers clean thats for sure, but you cannot leave them on long term because some birds just will not move around in them. All depends on the bird and how they react to having something on their feet. I put them on once birds are washed and ready, about a week before, but conditioning foot feathers starts much earlier than that.

8. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I know, but conditioning seems more of a no brainer. Dirty feathers can be cleaned anytime, but damage takes time to repair. It's those last days of constant vigilance that kill us. It's one of my biggest barriers to getting into whites. One of our usual judges prefers feet be bleach water/toothbrush scrubbed spotless the day of judging and that's darn difficult in the field since coop in is the night before. Your booties are sheer genius IMO. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by