Conehead crowed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BamaChicken, Dec 15, 2007.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Yes it was hard for me to believe but at close to four weeks old this little stinker is showing off. I went our to put the lid on the brooder box as it is supposed to get cold tonite and Conehead who is the oldest in the box by 11 days is strutting around being the boss and suddenly he lets out this weird shrill little chicken crow and all the other chicks dive for the floor like a bomb went off or something and their he stands eyeing me with his chest stuck out. Cutest thing you ever saw. then a few minutes later he does it again and the other chicks dive for cover again. Next he starts chirping this really loud chirp and they all decide to eat. I think he may be keeper.

2. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    That conjures up quite an image. I can just imagine his expression! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

How cute!! 4 weeks old and crowing!! Wow. Sounds like a great protector to me....definately a keeper!!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I love when they crow early! My earliest was five days. It was so unexpected that it took me over a day to realize what he was doing and even then, it took DH pointing it out to me!

5. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    5 days?!?! wow.[​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know, completely bizarre, but the most adorable thing I'd ever heard or seen. Didn't expect it since his daddy took till 14-15 weeks to crow for the first time. I said to my DH, "What on earth is that chick doing???", LOL.
    Julie, I bet you got a kick out of that!

7. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    haha! What a goof!

8. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Amazing..........what I know is that a roo starts crowing at 15 weeks old...............and now as early as 5 days? I don't think I can believe that............really.............just kidding! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by