Confession - I killed him and I'm happy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by McGoo, May 29, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

My roo was mean and over time I didn't even realize how I'd stopped visiting and enjoying my chickens.... until today. He also was really rough with them and scratched them up...to the point that two had to wear aprons and one has lost a good deal of head feathers as well.

Well last night I chopped off his head and he's no more. And at first I thought that I'd be remorseful and guilty...but nope! The only concern that I have is that the gals kinda liked his guiding them around and 'protecting' them and now they're on their own.

As for me, well, I'm thrilled that he's gone and I was able to spend time in their area and it was fun again! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My one concern is predators, though I've lost 2 when he was on duty and so we'll see what happens.

Have any of you had this experience? How did your hens manage?

2. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Hi, Does this mean that the little Buff orp Roo has a chance of staying? I love mine and the more you work with them, the friendlier they are.
    Orps are such sweeties anyway.

Dilly

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    My big standard roo was invited to dinner just recently and his girls seemed lost without him so I let one of the bantam cochin pens out with the big girls and they now follow the cochin roo around and look to him for finding great little treats for them. There were 4 little banty hens with their hackles up though. They didn't like the attention the big girls were giving their man. [​IMG]

4. McGoo

Does this mean that the little Buff orp Roo has a chance of staying?

Nope, 'cause I found him a home. I also might have other roos and I will find homes for them over time. If one is really friendly, then it's possible that he'll stay. Truth is that Mr. Ed was pretty friendly when I got him at 3 mos., but he just kept getting meaner and meaner and couldn't be trusted. So I'm skeptical about all roos unfortunately.

Maybe then need a bantam roo. At least he wouldn't totally scratch them up. Are bantam roos mean? Maybe certain breeds are better than others. I know that they crow, but maybe it doesn't carry as far as a major full grown roo???​

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Ohhh I had one of those and he was so nasty not only to people but the hens as well. As soon as I got rid of him the hens egg production doubled!

It was unpleasant to be out with them as you always had to watch him, he would follow and attack every time, I was always looking over my shoulder. No fun at all and not relaxing for sure.

I now have a real nice roo, got him last fall, he is a big Columbian Wyondotte who was destined to someones soup pot and I took him. He most likely just turned a year old so he was a few months old when I got him, and he has never come after us.
    He protects the hens and is beautiful.

There are good ones out there and I love having him.

P.S. I did not feel bad at all when I got rid of the nasty one because it was actually a relief!

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Buff Orp Roos are very nice and freindly, best roo I ever had..

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have lots of bantam cochin roos here and not a one is mean. The older ones all have their own hens and don't like any other roo treading on their territory but non have ever shown any disrespect towards me or my grandchildren.

8. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG]

9. McGoo

I just looked out at the coop and saw that the girls had all gone in...but wait, what is that dark mass on the side of the pen.... [​IMG] yikes a raccoon as I raced out the door to scare aware rocky! I think he was just after the scratch, but the coop door was still open. I really don't need a masacre tonight!

Anyway, I'll probably end up raising one or two roos from my 6 week olds and hope that one is really friendly. I could have 2 BO roos... hard to tell yet, so maybe that'll be the one.

This is all promising news on roos. And yes, I'm soooo relieved. Thanks for your support!

10. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    A friend of mine says there's nothing about a mean rooster that a good bowl of chicken soup can't fix. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by