Confession: I tried to candle an egg from a broody and heard a peep!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaryZoe, Mar 23, 2017.

1. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Could I have ruined the probability of that egg's hatch? I feel awful, which I assume is something only other chicken addicts could understand. I apparently misjudged the hatch date of my broody hen's eggs (21 days would be Sunday), and I candled some of her eggs this afternoon. To my great surprise (and dismay), I heard a peeping from one of the eggs. I quickly returned it and the other eggs I intended to candle, found mama, and put her back where she wanted to be anyway.

I had to insist Eleanor Roostavelt leave the nest (she's been so broody that she's barely eaten or drunk anything since she started brooding unless I insisted she get up for a few minutes). I'd only candled once before, at a week to determine which eggs were fertile.

Does anyone have experience with this? She's my first broody, though I've kept chickens for a couple years. I know I would have my eggs in lockdown starting today or tomorrow if they were in my incubator, so I know it could not have been good for the egg to be out of the warmth and humidity of its momma's wings. I've never actually had eggs hatch early so I never expected this. Late hatches, yes, but not early. Geez, I sure hope that little fella makes it despite my clumsiness!

What do you more experienced chicken people think?

Thanks, MZ

2. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    The egg should be fine if you are worried that it lost humidity or warmth it is just like the mother getting off the nest nothing to worry about. Mother hens don't have a lockdown stage that they preform they sit, get up and then sit back down. And if you are worried that you turned it you'll still be fine beacuse the mother is still shuffling it around like usual.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    [​IMG]
    I have nothing to add except....WISHING YOU BEST.... [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Personally, I never Candle the eggs under my Broody Hens.....I never interfere.....;).....My Hen is Due today ..14 eggs she is setting...
    I am sure you will have success..:)..Yours are due on Sunday...My Hens leave the nest to eat and drink till two days before hatch date and them sit till the chicks are hatched...

Leave them now and best wishes...:)

Cheers!

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Don't worry, your candling didn't do anything to jeopardize it hatching. If it was going to hatch it will. I candle through hatch in my incubator and candled periodically with my broodies. With my broodies once I knew they were internally pipped I left them alone.

6. chickens really

The benefits of the Broody Hen is you have zero reason to interfere ....Birds have been hatching eggs for thousands of years..;)......Best incubator around....The best mothers too......

Next time give her a flashlight to candle her own eggs....;)...lol.....Just kidding....:)

Cheers!

7. siriusblack

siriusblack Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minnesota
    I just had my first hatch from a broody hen, I candled way more than I should have. I couldn't help myself! It's amazing to see. She had gathered so many eggs I had to keep track of the new ones for about a week until I could get a set up away from the rest of chickens. She abandoned 4 eggs after 10 chicks hatched (because it was a staggered hatch) and I took them in, made a incubator in 3 minutes, and continued to candle and pick up the remaining eggs until they hatched. One died because humidity wasn't rigyt, but the rest hatched just fine and are healthy! Don't worry about it! They are just fine

1 person likes this.
  8. MaryZoe

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Thanks to you all for your replies. I know I don't need to candle, but I did once after about a week to determine which eggs were fertile. She's 1/2 bantam, so she's not very big. She had 8 eggs under her and I knew some were not fertile, so I figured we'd be better off if she focused only on the ones that might hatch. I removed the three infertile eggs and cooked them up for her. [​IMG] Then I just couldn't resist one more candling. It's just such a little miracle. Next time I'll avoid it, though. I sure am glad I probably did no harm. Little Eleanor is such a devoted mom--I hope she gets to enjoy her chicks!

9. chickens really

My little Bantams name is Crazy Alice..She hatched out 7 Chicks..they are 5 weeks old...:).....Neat.. you will love watching her raise her Chicks.....:)

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  10. MaryZoe

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Sure enough, all is well. Here's our newest flock member, Spring. [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by