confined area for winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fifelakelooper, Apr 9, 2009.

1. fifelakelooper

fifelakelooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    Hi. I'm new and I think I posted my query on the wrong post..sorry. I have 5 adult hens now...will be getting 6 chicks late this month. I plan on keeping them separate since I have read about how hard it is to incorporate new with old. My husband just decided two days ago that we will leave for Feb,March and April next winter...to go to Florida. We live on a "seasonal" road in N.Michigan and NO ONE will come here next winter to care for my hens for that long. I recently bought a small coop 3X3 for any brooding hen who wants to lay (I ordered a rooster) and wondered if I could have just the Welsummer hen and rooster I ordered...confined in that coop for 3 months until I return.? If that would work...I could take the coop to a friends home...it has a small run with it but for Feb. it is too cold here to let them out. I didn't know if the rooster would totally tear up the hen in such a small area for that long/? I am trying to figure out a way to keep at least those two...I could sell the others.
    Any ideas or opinions?
    Thanks for sharing.

2. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    sounds like a recipe for disaster-sorry. I would rehome if you will be unable to care for them for such a long time or take them to florida with you.

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Boy, I don't know if I'd do that...

Is your friend going to be the one to give them fresh water? If so, then can't they just care for them in your absence?

I am no expert, but wouldn't a rooster be tough on only one hen? And then confined for several months? My girls go nuts when they have to be confined for just a couple days. And they have a much larger coop than just a tractor.

Just wondering...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. fifelakelooper

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    Well...that was my thought too. My friend has chickens....but I don't want to put mine with hers...due to health concerns and fighting issues. Believe me...I would take them to Fla. with me but my husband thought that was a crazy idea and will not do it. My hens are confined most the winter as it is....5 hens in a 8X9 coop. It is just too rough here to let them out and the snow gets pretty deep in the run..even with the roof. When it is 32 or above, sunny and not too windy I let them out. Those days are few sometimes here in north mi.
    I might be able to convince him to build me another coop...5X5 and then I could still take it over to my friends and maybe keep the rooster and two hens....with a small run.
    I just don't want to get rid of them all...especially the Welsummers which I hope to raise chicks with.
    No one will be able to get to our coop even if they would...because the road isn't cleared when we are gone. 1/2 mile of "seasonal" road means the county won't keep it snowplowed and we won't be home to do it. (and won't pay to have it done while gone)[​IMG]

5. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    Mine were confined a lot this winter because of the cold but I'd give them way more room and I don't think I'd have one hen and one rooster for that long together.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Doesn't sound workable, sorry- and not a good time to add more...unless someone is going to live at your place and would be willing to care for them.

7. fifelakelooper

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    I guess I could cancel the order...I had already paid for and ordered the chicks...he just made this decision two days ago because we had a hard winter. He MIGHT change his mind.
    I know I can give them a good home at my friends...her hens are old and she is ready to get new ones anyway. So I may just go ahead...get them and IF we go south...give them to her with the understanding I could have anyWelsummer chicks in the future (if we don't go to Fla. any more winters)
    I was just hopeing someone out there would have a workable solution.
    [​IMG]

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Maybe you have a family member who would stay at your home for the 3 months you are gone and care for your hens/home?

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe -- I am grasping at straws here -- you could arrange to build a 'proper' (modest sized) coop at your friend's house, with her getting to keep the coop as payment for boarding your chickens for the winter?

Good luck,

Pat

10. fifelakelooper

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    I think the idea of putting the coop on her site for payment is a good idea....that just might make it a "go". I haven't even talked to my friend about the whole idea...like i said..I just found out. In the past she has offered for short term absences.
    I will ask her next time we get together.
    Thanks for the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by