Confinement and Broodiness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countyroad1330, Nov 9, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I was wondering if keeping only one pair in a pen will make the hen broodier. I've read alot of posts about so many chickens not setting on their eggs!

2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Not really. It depends on the breed...some are more liable to go broody than others, and they're mostly broody during the warm months. Most will begin to go broody when they get a nest full of eggs.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, broodiness is genetic. So much has been bred out of the chickens of today in favor of egg production. Confining a non-broody type hen with a mate will have no effect, IMO.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, going broody is an instinct and can't be encouraged in any way shape or form. If a hen becomes broody, it is done on her own. Never because you did something you think helped.

bigzio

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with all the posts and yes it has to be in the warmer months. You are starting to get chilly over there??? so they wont go broody now.
    What type of chikens do you have?
    If they are the broody type I just leave their eggs in there until they get to 6 or 7 and then they usually start getting Clucky!!!but again, only when the weather is warm.

6. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Well pooh! I don't have anything old enough to even lay right now. I was thinking about a getting a pair of Black Giants from someone, and I've read that they aren't broody. But I've got an incubator and sure don't mind being Chicken Mama!

7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

well dear, dont worry, you CAN have your cake and eat it too!!!
    Just get your hens that you want and some fertilised eggs for your Bator!!!

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I was thinking about a getting a pair of Black Giants from someone, and I've read that they aren't broody.

I can tell you from experience this won't work and is liable to be disasterous. Mine have gone broody a couple of times, but they're too big to sit on the eggs, so they end up breaking them. Nothing stinks worse on a hot day than rotten eggs in a nesting box and on your hen. [​IMG]

If you do decided to go with Jerseys and incubate the eggs, don't be surprised if the eggs take one or two days extra to hatch. They're big eggs and the chicks take a little longer to pop out.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by